"pretty in pink" rules

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited May 2016 in Road general
learned velomates.

I have a 1990's Battaglin. I'm tempted to put pink hoods, bar tape, and saddle on because a) I think it looks good and b) it is giro time after all.

What I can't work out is - given I haven't myself won the Giro - is this a respectful nod to others success, or the equivalent of wearing sky kit?

Answers on a postcard.

And yes, this is all slightly tongue in cheek.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's your bike, it's your money, it'll potentially look cool. Boo ha sucks you to the naysayers.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    edited May 2016
    "mpatts wrote:
    ... pink hoods, bar tape, and saddle
    Lovely I'm planning the same plus pink cables and I already have pink bottle cages and bottles. Just don't get a pink giro leaders Jersey that's a no no.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Whatever floats your boat. People will disagree whatever you do. People are stupid.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Have to agree with the above. Think how daft the average person is, half the popualation are dafter than that. If you do go pink you should have the speed to back it up and humiliate anyone that mocks you though.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Have to say I'd avoid the pink bar tape and hoods together, either one or the other matched with a saddle is fine.

With the exception of black/black, I don't think matched tape and hoods ever really works as it's impossible to get the colours to be exactly the same. And White/white just looks horrid even if they *do* match. Just looks try-hard naff to me.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Just don't go for a combo of celeste and pink, it doesn't work!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,002
    Isn't the Giro over soon?

It'll be a bit like buying an England flag after they've been knocked out of the group stages.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My view: pink should be used sparingly, and be careful with the tone. My WM is black/pink, and looks great (I think) with my donning the WM kit. However they've just changed their kit using a deeper tone of pink so their new stuff won't match (however the old stuff is being sold cheap)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I confess to having sprayed an old Langster bright pint (forks and all). It is a most excellent hack at all times. The colour was chosen through a poll of my adult children. They seem to have a sense of humour that I lack.

I bought pink bar tape for it, but as the existing tape survived the renovation, I've left it for now.

I confess also to having ridden it while wearing an ancient GdS Giro d'Italia long-sleeved 'maglia rosa'.

I do not think I was confused for a former winner. There is something about my body shape that makes this unlikely.