Etape SNowdonia

gratziani
gratziani Posts: 46
Hello all

Eight of us from flat Essex have signed up for this event which is on june 12th, anybody have any experience of it ?

I have done the Prudential 100 before and London to Paris , but never this much climbing and you can't get anywhere near it around our way.

Got a compact on the bike but will I need / want a 28/30 would your advice be ?

How cold can it get in Wales that time of year between the Valleys and the Mountain tops , gear to wear and take ? Gilet and arm warmers or am I overthinking it ?

http://etapeeryri.com/

thanks for any comments

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Which route are you doing ?

I'd think armwarmers, kneewarmers and gilet as minimum currently. Hopefully it'll get better weather by then, but if you haven/t a full proper rain jacket - I'd be ordering one just in case.
  • gratziani
    We are doing the 104 miles route so Gilet/ Knee and Arm warmers are coming in the travel bag anyhow.

will have a look at a rain jacket now as well cheers
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm not too far from North Wales and we've been in full summer kit one weekend and the next weekend back to Winter kit.
    So bring everything and then you have more choice on the day.
  • gratziani
    Thanks Fenix

How bad/easy are the climbs compared to Leith hill type climb
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    can't compare the hills, I generally don't find them too bad but then North Wales is my regular stomping ground. Should all be fine with a compact 28. Doable on a standard 28 or compact 25 but sensible is a 28. Some people like the idea of a 32 but IMO that is a mental thing rather than physical.

Going through the passes often means a gilet/warmers on at the top then taking them off 10 minutes later.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy