Time to go tubeless...

mickus
mickus Posts: 199
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just looking for your thoughts on a new wheel set for going tubeless.

I'm not Mr.Moneybags but I'm willing to spend £200 an end (probably one wheel at a time!) to give you an idea of budget. I'd much rather go below that, though... I ride trail centres and like wide and stable rims. Wheel size is 27.5

So I have a few questions:

1 - Superstar hubs. I've had one on my 26" and it seemed fine - once I replaced the bearings for decent ones. Why would/should I go with a different make? For the price and my riding style/ability I don't know of a better alternative (eagerly awaiting education?).

2 - what rims!? Having been a MTBer in the 90's I still can't get away from my limited knowledge that Mavic are the only rims. I know these days it's not the case but I've not moved away from them. Where should I be looking for tubeless? I hear Stans talked about a lot...

3 - what difference do the tyres make? I'm a long time Continental fan. The Rubber Queen / Trail King have been my staple for years. I was going to stick with those. Any reason these won't make a goof tubeless tyre?

I appreciate any input and educating you may be able to offer. Please go easy on my newbieness in this regard.

Cheers,

Mike

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Do you need a new wheelset or can you just put some rim tape and tubeless valves on your current ones and slop some sealant in there?

1. Superstar are fine. Novatech have a very good rep and are very reliable and excellent value for money. EDIT - Having just re-read your post after posting mine I'd say put Hope on both ends if you're looking at £200 an end! Pro 4 are very, very good, easily serviced, good adaptors for various axle sizes etc.

2. A myriad. Personally I have H Plus Son (Todestreib) and Velocity (Blunt 35) as I prefer wider rims and they are perfect for banging a tubeless tyre up first time. Strong, wide (lower tyre pressures!), ok value wise.

3. Can't comment on Conti as I've never used them.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mickus
    Do you need a new wheelset or can you just put some rim tape and tubeless valves on your current ones and slop some sealant in there?

That's possible for my front wheel, definitely, but the rear has a cup and cone hub that I'd like to get away from. I'm upgrading my frame at the same time to include a thru axle on the rear. Sounds like the Hope Pro 4 is a good choice given their flexibility on axle adaptors. Only niggle in my mind is am I missing a bargain with the Superstar hub vs Hope...

Rim wise this is the difficulty I'm having - there are so many!

Tyres are always going to be a personal preference but it would be good to know if Conti are particularly good/bad at being tubeless... I don't know if there's any difference between a tyre intended for tubeless use and one that isn't?
  • lostboysaint
    If you want a bargain then why set yourself £200/end? Superstar will sell you wheelset for that.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mickus
    If you want a bargain then why set yourself £200/end? Superstar will sell you wheelset for that.

I do follow that up saying I'd much rather go below that ;) I just don't know enough facts, at this point, to know whether that's a wise choice. I don't want to spend £200 an end just because I can. If in that budget the best possible combo is £200 all in then I'd much rather that.

I do like the Pro 4's and the lovely clicky noise you get from Hope (yes, I'm one of those). I'm just making sure I'm not spending twice as much for the name.
  • lostboysaint
    As usual on forums I'd recommend exactly what I've got! But Superstar have some great options at the moment. If you're not particularly heavy then there's a good Stan's Crest on Switch hub deal at £200 or a variety of their "own rims" on Switch hubs all around your £200 but for a set rather than each! Just pick your width and press buy! They get good reviews and I assume they still have their truing warranty etc.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mickus
    As usual on forums I'd recommend exactly what I've got! But Superstar have some great options at the moment. If you're not particularly heavy then there's a good Stan's Crest on Switch hub deal at £200 or a variety of their "own rims" on Switch hubs all around your £200 but for a set rather than each! Just pick your width and press buy! They get good reviews and I assume they still have their truing warranty etc.

Thanks - I appreciate the input. Superstar's deals are mental, plus 25% off at the moment! At that price it's worth it even if they're completely wrong!
  • lostboysaint
    Go wider. Shapes the tyre better, allows you to run slightly less pressure so bigger footprint, more grip, more comfort.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris