Pack size - 10l or 14l?

Rookie1986
Rookie1986 Posts: 153
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a pack for this season and just noticed that Osprey have launched the revised Raptor for 2016. The previous Raptor got great reviews and looked like the perfect pack (unfortunately it's sold out everywhere...) so I was thinking of grabbing one of the new ones but I'm unsure if I should got for a 10l or 14l pack...

What do you guys use? Which out of the two would you pick and why?

http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/raptor-raven

Thanks,

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I use a 30l pack- Lol I guess I'm probably alone on that...

Definitely go for the 14l one
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Rookie1986
    Kickaxe wrote:

:O 30l!!!

Do you take the kitchen sink along for the ride haha?? Only joking :P you must pack some serious kit to need 30l of storage space, the pack must feel huge!
  • kickaxe
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    Kickaxe wrote:

Do you take the kitchen sink along for the ride haha?? Only joking :P you must pack some serious kit to need 30l of storage space, the pack must feel huge!

I take my garage with me, that way I can store my bike safely at all times.
    It's not too bad really, like yeah, It could be a bit more stable on my back, but it doesn't ever get in my way while actually riding. I usually have about 4l of water with me (3 bottles), food, toolkit, rain jacket, pump, tube, patch kit...

It's never really full so I am planning on getting an 18l Camelbak soon, exclusively for riding. I definitely feel that 10l is too small if you are going out for a full day of backcountry riding.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Ross Gardner
    Ross Gardner Posts: 230
    I haven't got a "pack" yet. My bottle cage, pump holder and normal backpack do for now.

Maybe I need an upgrade. Any more suggestions?

Oh, and I'd take the Camelbak over that Osprey... £30 instead of £100. I mean I pay premium for performance, but for something to carry stuff in... the only cool thing about the Osprey is the colour. If you're going to get a black Osprey, I'd get the Camelbak instead. At £60, you can get an Altura Sector 30.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Definitely go the extra £10 for the 14ltr pack.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Ross Gardner
    What about G4Free packs?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    Kickaxe wrote:

Wow. My Dakine Nomad, which is easily the best pack I've trialed or owned, is 18l and I can get just about everything for everyone in that!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Kickaxe wrote:

Nearly at the same level as you, running a 25L one, 3L bladder loads of storage got tools, first aid kid, food 3L bladder, rain jacket an spare gloves an socks an a fair chunk of space left.
    10L is too small I have a camelback I use to commute an its just about big enough.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    Kickaxe wrote:

I take my garage with me, that way I can store my bike safely at all times.
    It's not too bad really, like yeah, It could be a bit more stable on my back, but it doesn't ever get in my way while actually riding. I usually have about 4l of water with me (3 bottles), food, toolkit, rain jacket, pump, tube, patch kit...

It's never really full so I am planning on getting an 18l Camelbak soon, exclusively for riding. I definitely feel that 10l is too small if you are going out for a full day of backcountry riding.

4L of water into 3 bottles? Do you carry around those 2L coke bottles or something?!? And how far are riding everytime to warrant 4L of water?
  • kickaxe
    Briggo wrote:
    Kickaxe wrote:

4L of water into 3 bottles? Do you carry around those 2L coke bottles or something?!? And how far are riding everytime to warrant 4L of water?

More like 2 1.5l bottles and sometimes a bit more. Usually I ride maybe 40km (plus 10km to the trails each way), consisting of climbing usually on fire roads, and then taking DH trails down (it's what we've got in the area).

As stated above, I usually don't use the full 30l anyway but it is a good feeling to not have to worry about about space.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Briggo
    Crazy, you probably need all that water because you're carrying around so much water!
  • kickaxe
    Briggo wrote:
    Crazy, you probably need all that water because you're carrying around so much water!

Haha could be!
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Ross Gardner
    Does it have to be a Raven?

A viper here for £14 less than RRP:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osprey-Viper- ... SwSHZWgQxY

13L but better than 10!
  • Rookie1986
    Does it have to be a Raven?

A viper here for £14 less than RRP:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osprey-Viper- ... SwSHZWgQxY

13L but better than 10!

I've already purchased the 14l Raptor from Osprey, it wasn't really a question of money, more of just which pack size people thought would be best (the reviews of the Raptor speak for themselves).
  • Briggo
    I'd get the 14L just so you have that bit of extra space, you'll hardly notice the size difference when out riding between a 10 and 14.

I love my 14L Raptor (previous version, but I'm struggling to see the main differences to be honest)

Now 10 and 30L is a different matter.
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    Bah!

6l pack for me. 2l bladder, multitool, pump, tube, repair kit, asthma pump, phone, money, waterproof, cereal bars.

Bottle cage and saddle bag for an extra few litres of space. But my rides always pass through some water top up points and rarely hit 30km.

I have a 20l day pack as well, not bike specific, but it's always so empty that things move around even with compression straps. Will take that during the winter when I want a warm layer and some lights.