Rigid Forks

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Having acquired a RR 560 from Decathalon back in November to use as a Winter bike/Commuter I have always wanted to try rigid here lies my problem I have measured from top of my crown to the middle Axel which is 460mm but I am unsure what forks length I need?
The forks I am looking at are:
http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s= ... p=1053#top in 42.5cm or 44.5cm Versions?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    460mm with 100mm travel will be 435mm when sagged, either will be fine as 1cm is only making a tiny difference to geo.

I use Mosso aluminium forks on my commuter, a little less stiff (more comfy) and cheaper and lighter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    Not a lot in it weight wise exotic od carbon 780 grams Mosso 782grams according to their website.
  • The Rookie
    My Mosso is 680g
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I picked up the Mosso's a while back on rookies recommendation, ideal for a commuter bike even done some trails on them weight wise is about spot on mine were just a smidge over 680g an they even had brake mount fitted for a 160mm rotor.
  • snowster
    Any links to Mosso forks?
  • The Rookie
  • snowster
    So am after some opinions about changing to rigid its between the Mosso & Extoic? And on a scale from 1 to 10 how easy are they to install? And any additional parts will I require?
  • The Rookie
    Ease to install - well I'd class it as 'pretty' easy.
    Remove wheel, undo stem and top cap and remove, loosen top wedge and remove forks, remove crown race from fork.
    Refit is the reverse of removal
    10 minutes job.

Between the two choices, well that depends on use, for commuting and light gravel work the Mosso is nice, light, just enough give and aerodynamic, but on tougher off road use its a bit to flexy and starts to get a mind of it's own, for that sort of use the Exotic/On-one carbon forks are a better bet. Consider also Salso Chromato (as used by a British world champion) or Prongs forks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably a good idea to swap the brakes over as well, if you are one of those pussy riders who need them.

You also might have to cut the steerer tube down, or add spacers. A hacksaw works well enough.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snowster
    edited May 2016
    Many thanks looks like am going to go for Mosso half the price of the Exotic as its for commuting and the odd Devon Country lane which is more of off-road with the amount of pot holes
  • The Rookie
    Mosso will be good for that, I have it on my commuter and use it daily on country lanes, plus do the odd local abandoned railway line with it and run it a bit like a CXer (flat bars though).
  • snowster
    Before I hit the buy it now can someone confirm I got the right ones for a 26 mtb with 100mm of travel?
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mosso-26-MTB-Bl ... 1819893455
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    They look alright to me. Have you checked whether you need a straight or tapered steerer?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    Will be a straight fit, to answer the above, you have a plain steerer so no issue with that.
  • snowster
    Many thanks to all now ordered one last question is it possible to buy a new crown for the fork so I can leave the old on the current forks and if so any ideal which one I will require?
  • cooldad
    The correct crown race for your headset. Has nothing to do with the forks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • snowster
    So I need to get one that is compatible with the headset then? Any ideal which one
  • The Rookie
    What headset have you got?
  • cooldad
    The one that is compatible with your headset is the ideal one. And possibly the only one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Nope, the A- headset bit is just a generic description, not a make or model.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    snowster wrote:
    Many thanks to all now ordered one last question is it possible to buy a new crown for the fork so I can leave the old on the current forks and if so any ideal which one I will require?

It's probably not that easy to just buy the crown race, and then again, why on Earth would you want to? Even if it's a bit stiff to get off it'll still only take a few minutes. You might be lucky and find that the lower race is split (design feature, not damage) and it'll pop off with no trouble at all.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    Or just use a hacksaw to turn it into a split race.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • snowster
    Thanks Giraffoto will give it a try as soon as the forks arrive sound like a good ideal Cooldad much easier to swap the forks over I guess
  • Giraffoto
    They really are fairly straightforward to get off, even the unsplit versions. You generally need a soft hammer or a variety of flat screwdrivers.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • snowster
    Decided I am to give it a go when new forks arrive so as cooldad suggested in cutting the crown to make it easier to remove a good ideal?
  • The Rookie
    If it's cartridge bearing, cutting it is fine, if it's loose ball it's not!
  • Giraffoto
    snowster wrote:
    Decided I am to give it a go when new forks arrive so as cooldad suggested in cutting the crown to make it easier to remove a good ideal?

As with so many things, it depends . . .

You'll have to get it off first anyway, so unless you plan to swap headsets or forks regularly - and few people do - it's not that important. A split crown race is a "nice to have". You'll probably then want to leave it on the new fork forever, so how important is it to be able to get it on or off easily?

And as has been said above, if you have loose ball or caged ball bearings, forget it.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • snowster
    Arrived Monday Fitted Yesterday
    image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg