Kask Protone - Insect Magnet?!

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited May 2016 in Road general
At the moment I seem to be getting at least 3+ insect 'moments' per hour per ride, wearing a Kask Protone.

Always interesting events, as you're never quite sure if it's a wasp or a bee, which would mean a violent halt and rapid helmet removal.

Not sure if it's the helmet or a very 'buggy' spring, but it's becoming a pain. Literally, as I was stung multiple times about 3 weeks ago just above my ear.

It's enough to make you want to go fully aero....(but I recently sold my Giro Attack Shield...)

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've noticed the same when compared to my spesh prevail, the insects used to go straight through that where as the protone seems to catch the bloody things. A buff worn under the helmet has been my recent approach.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Probably just time of year. Lot of insects around.
  • bernithebiker
    Stueys wrote:
    I've noticed the same when compared to my spesh prevail, the insects used to go straight through that where as the protone seems to catch the bloody things. A buff worn under the helmet has been my recent approach.

Yep, I use a Spesh Prevail sometimes too, (France and Majorca) and I don't really notice any insect problems with that.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have the Infinity - got it as a cheap winter helmet as I thought it'd be warmer. First time I wore it I got 'ice cream headache' from the cold wind. They do have a fair bit of venting even if it's not as obvious as the normal road helmets.

(and that was with the slide shut)

Bandanas are the best idea. I wear mine summer and winter - either soaks the sweat up or insulates the head.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    don't worry about it. I get the same amount in the Protone as the giro synth... its just the time of the year.
  • bernithebiker
    I don't wear bandanas, but I'm assuming they wouldn't stop a wasp sting?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've never been stung on the head by a wasp in decades of cycling. I'm not saying its wasp proof - but it seems to work for me.

Thinking about it the last time I was stung by a wasp was when I put my hand in my trouser pocket and found one there.
    Funny creatures.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Never understood why they stopped putting the mesh in the vents to prevent bugs getting in.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    it seems to catch them more than my giro helmet, but fortunately i've had nothing that was biting/stinging

you could improvise with some wide mesh between the pads and helmet, it'd keep out the bigger ones
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Since being stung on the bonce a few years ago, this is my solution. I stretch 2 hairnets over the helmet 90 degrees to each other, and then fix them in place inside the helmet under the pads. Works a treat.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.