On-One DeeDar - Opinions.

King_Pin_Rich
King_Pin_Rich Posts: 111
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
So been eyeing up a Bird AM Zero-GX and noticed this - On-One DeeDar.
Similar price to the Bird as well.

On-One:
£1200
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOODEEDARG ... ntain-bike

What do you guys think, i'm struggling to find much information on it. What steel is it for example?
Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
Cube Road SL

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fairly new on the scene, only launched about a month back, hence no reviews.

MY UNDERSTANDING is that its a relatively low grade steel (as per the older 456 family bikes) so no flyweight (like the Cotic Solaris for example which is lighter than some Aluminium alloy frames) very contemporary trail HT geo (long, low and slack to over simplify), components look good and given On-ones record it probably rides pretty well.

I looked at some in their warehouse last weekend, look nicely put together, better than the 456/Inbreds were. There is one owner already on here (you'll have to search) not sure if he's posted first impressions or how meaningful they are/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • King_Pin_Rich
    I did wonder if it was new, I'd not come across it before.
    Cube Road SL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    OnOne aren't giving too much away with the frame details - no weight given, says 'double butted' but not sure if is all main tubes. It was up at £299 at one point, expensive for OnOne steel.

If wanting a bike of this type, long, low, slack, then I'd be tempted by this:

http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero-am/zero-am-nx.html

Got some very good reviews, and a great fork too.
  • King_Pin_Rich
    The Bird looks great value, i'd been eyeing that up before I stumbled across the DeeDar. The X-Fusion fork sounds like a winner.

I do like the look of the On-One, but the lack of frame information makes me suspicious it might be a bit of a heavy beast. Spec looks ok though.
    Cube Road SL
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    no weight given, says 'double butted' but not sure if is all main tubes.
    A quick lift of a frame at the recent clearance event (£150 on the day) suggested it was around 2.5Kg - similar to a Slackline, but I don't have a calibrated right arm I'm afraid. Certainly a fair bit heavier than my old Carrera HT frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Bird looks great value, i'd been eyeing that up before I stumbled across the DeeDar. The X-Fusion fork sounds like a winner.

I do like the look of the On-One, but the lack of frame information makes me suspicious it might be a bit of a heavy beast. Spec looks ok though.

Nice thing about Bird is you can talk to the guys who designed it, who are also the guys who assemble them, and ride them. Because they are the only staff, with some help from a rider they sponsor.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • King_Pin_Rich
    cooldad wrote:

Nice thing about Bird is you can talk to the guys who designed it, who are also the guys who assemble them, and ride them. Because they are the only staff, with some help from a rider they sponsor.

Yeah , I'm actually taking a trip to Birds shop to try some frame sizes, was gonna take one out for the day but I've injured my back to gotta take it easy , dammit.

In any case I still like the On-One, just wish they were a few extra bits of info.
    Cube Road SL
  • cooldad
    I generally like On One and their sales, but their website and info sucks general balls.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've had a couple On One frames. Generally, they're crude, basic and cheap but great fun to ride and absolutely bombproof. Quality of finish usually isn't great but they are very cheap.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    I've had a couple On One frames. Generally, they're crude, basic and cheap but great fun to ride and absolutely bombproof. Quality of finish usually isn't great but they are very cheap.
    This - and i own one atm
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As do I, a carbon 456. I think OnOne are playing it safe now with longer travel hardtails and making them from steel, but you do get a 2.5lbs weight penalty. Pity really, is a nice frame for the 4 and 5 end of the travel.
  • King_Pin_Rich
    buddy_club wrote:
    This - and i own one atm

Looking at the close-ups in on the website the frame doesn't look to bad, and I guess its pretty cheap at £299!
    There is a decal on the seat tube that says "MEDARTA STEEL" - whatever that is :?:
    Cube Road SL
  • The Rookie
    Medarta steel - really? - Only available in Northern England - Med art a' steel - Made out of steel. I'm not even a northerner and I got it!

On-one are used to enquiries (with a website like that they need to be) so ask if you want more details!
  • King_Pin_Rich
    The Rookie wrote:
    Medarta steel - really? - Only available in Northern England - Med art a' steel - Made out of steel. I'm not even a northerner and I got it!

On-one are used to enquiries (with a website like that they need to be) so ask if you want more details!

Oh yeah!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Cube Road SL
  • The Rookie
    Case of not seeing the wood for the tree's I think!

Say the word out loud and it just jumps out at you.
  • cooldad
    Some of us have leant to read without moving our lips, let alone reading out loud.

Keep practicing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    buddy_club wrote:
    This - and i own one atm

Looking at the close-ups in on the website the frame doesn't look to bad, and I guess its pretty cheap at £299!
    There is a decal on the seat tube that says "MEDARTA STEEL" - whatever that is :?:

Quality of finish shows up after a few rides and some knocks. The paint looks nice when new but very quickly looks old.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Haven't looked at the spec's in great detail, but struggle to see what is different from the 45650b - certainly the same Head Angle, same type of slack, long travel, crude steel HT ...

I love mine (45650b - not the DeeDar), and it was the best value / best spec'd 'hardcore HT' I could afford 2 years ago.

But I would definitely look at Bird if buying like for like now, or indeed the Sonder Transmitter.
    Quality of finish shows up after a few rides and some knocks. The paint looks nice when new but very quickly looks old.
    Get the 'Raw' finish then ... I think it looks great, and still looks good even when battlescarred!
  • King_Pin_Rich
    OoO Sonder, first I've seen of them, don't look half bad! Half decent website too, unlike Bird....
    Cube Road SL
  • garethwd
    garethwd Posts: 52
    Well, my two pennies worth! I bought a bird zero am about three months ago never really got on with it! found strangely disconcerting on the steep stuff, so swapped out the frame for a deedar, absolutely love it! it isn't light but peddles well enough and is a monster downhill and really nimble too in twisty stuff.
    I'm not going to say its better than the bird but I prefer it! If I had both bikes in the shed I can't think of reason I would choose the bird over the deedar for a ride
    On One Codeine

On One Parkwood

My babies :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I suspect he has bought a bike in the last 11 months.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    I've a DeeDar.

Agree with what's been said prev. It ain't light, the CroMo is a mystery and the finish isn't lasting. However, point the sod downhill and it really flies! Quite honestly, it's an absolute troublemaker of a bike - It brings the best and worst out of you.
  • Factory Jackson did a review of the On One Deedar and said was quiet good.