front forks

bruceiow
bruceiow Posts: 5
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
So guys, I've got a bit of an issue. Before everyone groans about the make, I love my MTB, have had it for years and it has done me so well. We have been a loooong way together. my MTB isn't a 2K superbike, but it gets me out with the kids at the weekend, and maybe a cheeky trail by myself too. 

I have a Barracuda Oblivion, it is in pretty good shape, except today when I was about to fit my new hope hydraulics I noticed that the front forks are pretty much done for! Got some leakage and there is quite a lot of play. 

They are something called "Chilli Gordo", they look the part but I have never heard of the make. 

I was wondering if I can swap out for something like a rockshox unit or Suntour. Are parts inter-changeable to that degree on MTB's? I would dearly love to keep my bike & upgrade it if I can. If it is dooable, can someone suggest what I could look at putting on there? I like a bit of offloading so something fairly tough would be good.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pretty sure the Chilli Gordo are from RST.

RST make cheap forks, at the top end of their range they come into the 'just about usable' category with a damper, lower down they are hideous piles of poo.

Is this like your Oblivion (it's the most common)? http://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/XcAP ... ?ID=165636

You'll almost certainly be able to get some replacement forks that fit and work better than the Chilli's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Gordo Chilli forks were made by Zoom and were never any good - heavy with no damping and prone to letting in dirt and water. You could swap them for anything that will fit and has the same travel, but is it really worth it?

What is your budget for the upgrades?

You seem willing to throw a lot of money (Hope brakes and new forks) at a very cheap bike.
    You say you love your bike, but it may be better to invest the money in either a new or good second-hand bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • bruceiow
    No its not quite like that one, it is more like this one:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/barr ... 1155663522

I'd love to put something a bit less esoteric on there!!
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Sorry for being a snob but can you return your hope brakes, get your money back and buy a better bike? I'm certain a hardtail would suit your needs better. I've never ridden a full suspension but round here you see a lot of cheap, heavy and nasty fs bikes being ridden around. The rider bouncing around around with every pedal stroke due to the rear suspension. There's no point in fs unless you've the money to buy a good bike.

As I said, I apologise for being a snob but I think you're throwing money away trying to upgrade that bike. Frame is important but I'm pretty sure that one is heavy and not very good. Suspension will be cheap and nasty. I seriously think you'd be surprised if you weighed it.

I think there's an old guy that has that bike at work. He moans about how much hard work it is to ride it. Weighs a tonne is one phrase he uses a lot to describe it.

Can you not find a better hardtail MTB second-hand or even brand new? Decathlon and perhaps go outdoors might have something or even Halfords. Front suspension only lighter and I reckon all you need.
  • bruceiow
    This is the kind of response I feared.. Ta for your views, but that wasn't what I asked.

Forget it, I'll drive..
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Whilst I agree it's maybe more wise to invest in a new bike, like you said it's not what you asked so I'll offer what little I can.

You'll be able to upgrade the front forks I'm sure, the two things you need look out for are the amount of travel your new fork has (Ideally you need to match what is already on the bike) and the steering tube diameter (you'll need to make sure that the same diameter is used to be able to ensure the forks will fit). That's all I can really offer you, I haven't been in the game long enough to be able to offer any specific options, sorry.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    How much money do you have for new forks?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I've seen Suntour xct forks 80mm travel for about £50 from tredz. They do it with different steerer sizes too. Take a look on the tredz website. Just make sure you buy the same suspension spec as on your bike now. Confirm travel and steerer tube diameter. Is it 80, 100 or 120mm travel? Is it 1" or 1 1/8" steerer?

I hope my earlier, honestly given advice didn't offend. It was my opinion and whilst not exactly as asked it was genuinely given. It was based on prices I've seen for hope hydraulic brake sets and forks. £150 total price I estimated for those parts. Got me thinking that a second-hand hardtail would be cheaper for a better ride. I feared it might offend but offence wasn't meant.
  • bruceiow
    Thank you and sorry I bit lol. I guess deep down I know everything you say is right. However, I cannot justify buying another as my other commitments never seem to allow. Bits I have bought were all pretty cheap off local sites so no shakes there. :)

I'm not beating the clock or doing massive air. I have never had a problem with weight or balance, but my comparison is limited lol.

Ideally I want to keep it running for now and improve where I can within reason.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your budget for new forks?