Full suspension or not

wavey1000
wavey1000 Posts: 59
edited May 2016 in MTB beginners
Having done the 23mile red run at dalby a few times on my boardman 650b hardball, I have to say it wasent much fun. My fitness was fine, it was the fact my back side was battered and bruised and the rocks and tree routes shook me to bits. Will a full Sof tail make that much of a difference to my comfort?

I had padded shorts and the stock boardman seat

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It probably will, but you need to stand up over rocky rooty stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even with suspension you wouldn't be sitting down over the rough stuff, the only benefit of suspension I find at a trail centre is that my legs last longer as they aren't doing as much suspension duty so I can ride harder for longer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Full sus does have a performance advantage when tackling the rough stuff at speed and I like that - however at my age I like just as much that I can sit over more of the terrain without having my spine hammered into dust.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like you need to get out of the saddle. Suspension won't help the problem you're describing.
  • Buelligan
    Buelligan Posts: 57
    edited May 2016
    Wavey, you could always get a Scott with its patented lockoff system (price permitting). That way you get 3 bikes in 1 depending if you want to lock off the rear, rear and front or none.
    '77 Specialized MTB
    '07 Specialized Hardrock
    '14 Cube Stereo HSA 140 SL Hybrid

http:www.bodgwynedd.com
  • RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    I ride a Scott Genius MC10, which is a full-suspension bike with a lockable shock (the newer Geniuses have a system called Twinloc, which means you can lock out both ends) and I absolutely love riding it - if you have the budget, I'd definitely go down the full-suspension route. Of course, you can get more for your money in terms of components if you go for a hardtail, but you don't get the same level of comfort/efficiency. I would recommend going to somewhere like Glentress where you can test out both types of bike, then decide what you prefer. On one hand, a hardtail isn't as comfortable as a full-susser, but it is, generally, more efficient. Then again, you have bikes like the Genius or the Specialized Brain-equipped bikes which offer the best of both worlds albeit at the price of a little weight, and both are definitely more comfortable. Happy shopping!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Having ridden a Genius and a Specialized Stumpjumper with Brain I'd say they promise a lot more than they actually deliver. Both have seriously compromised damping in the shock, poor reliability and an excess of weight. The Scott also uses a non standard shock which can't be changed if you don't like it.
    Specialized dropped the brain suspension years ago after much criticism.
    The Scott also has weird geometry.
  • pigglet
    pigglet Posts: 68
    How many saddles have you tried? I find the majority of saddles destroy my bony behind but for me a Wtb pure v is really comfy. 20 minutes was my limit on the prolog that came with my road bike. Pure v fitted and 4 hours was no problem. You shouldn't be in pain after a run round dalby on a hardtail, it's not that rocky or chattery. Stand up more or try a different saddle.