Giro 16 Stage 14 ***Spoilers***

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited May 2016 in Pro race
Looks like 5 K of climbing but nothing of interest for the GC... in terms of Nibali V Valverde, unless one of them has the trotts... better luck in the MTT tomorrow. The Giau is a mighty climb, shame is too far from the finish

So far a very disappointing Giro in terms of GC. Two weeks in and the top two are a couple of chippers... very disappointing the organisers didn't manage to fit a decent stage and despite keeping it easy, all the sprinters have already left... wouldn't have been better to make it hard from day 1 (or say day 5)?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Background TV for my today as I'm in the kitchen prepping food for a friends birthday later, could be best

Agreed, it would have been nice to see a few more cages rattled and some sweat blood and tears. Commercial reasons or just poor planning?

However it has been good to see a few people in pink and watch them ride in it (IMO).
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think it's just poor planning. The spring classics show that racking up 4-5 K of climbing doesn't sort the peloton, unless the climbing is the right type in the right place. A lot of climbing today, but only the Giau has the potential to hurt in terms of minutes... I can't see Nibali attacking on the Giau... I can't see Valverde attacking at any point in the Giro
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Q: Where are we Lionel?
    A: The Dolomites

PW_T14_Corvara_alt-3.jpg
    PW_G16_T14_3D-1.jpgPW_T14_S01_Pordoi-1.jpgPW_T14_S02_Sella-1.jpgPW_T14_S03_Gardena-1.jpgPW_T14_S04_Campolongo-1.jpgPW_T14_S05_Giau_alt-1.jpgPW_T14_S06_Valparola-2.jpgPW_T14_S07_MDGatto-1.jpg
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Mechanism wrote:
    Q: Where are we Lionel?
    A: The Dolomites

PW_T14_Corvara_alt-3.jpg
    PW_G16_T14_3D-1.jpgPW_T14_S01_Pordoi-1.jpgPW_T14_S02_Sella-1.jpgPW_T14_S03_Gardena-1.jpgPW_T14_S04_Campolongo-1.jpgPW_T14_S05_Giau_alt-1.jpgPW_T14_S06_Valparola-2.jpgPW_T14_S07_MDGatto-1.jpg

It's Maratona day!

Been looking forward to this ever since the route was published.

Don't underestimate the little nasty ramp just before the finish.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Can't see any major shake ups today. Will hopefully be a decent fight for the stage at least.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Can't see any major shake ups today. Will hopefully be a decent fight for the stage at least.

Are we all missing the 'proper' racing you got in the good ol' days of EPO...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    And by that, I mean the current template for winning a GT is not the 100 mile breakaway on a stage like today, but just avoiding having a bad day...
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I've found it fairly interesting to follow so far despite the lack of GC action. I think the fact the limited range of top GC contenders here is to blame for that - last year the giro was for me the best GT.

Agree that watching Dumoulin and Ettix riding in the pink and trying hard to keep it (particularly Brambilla riding for Jungels) was good to watch.
  • bobmcstuff
    I also think/hope we will see some attacks (maybe not today) from guys like Chaves and Kruijswijk who have been solidly climbing with Nibali and Valverde so far.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    The final few kms with slightly better graphics:-
    PW_T14_Corvara_ukm-3.jpg

The race is approaching the Pordoi.
    The breakaway makes it looks as if the peloton has gone up the road and left the grupetto to chase!

Axel Domont, Hugo Houle (Ag2r La Mondiale), Andrey Zeits (Astana), Nicola Boem, Francesco Manuel Bongiorno, Sonny Colbrelli (Bardiani - CSF), Darwin Atapuma (BMC Racing), Moreno Moser, Nathan Brown (Cannondale), Kanstantsin Siutsou (Dimension Data), David De La Cruz, Matteo Trentin (Etixx-QuickStep), Sergey Firsanov (Gazprom-RusVelo), Stefan Denifl (IAM Cycling), Diego Ulissi, Valerio Conti, Sacha Modolo, Manuele Mori (Lampre-Merida), Tim Wellens, Pim Ligthart, Maxime Monfort (Lot Soudal), Carlos Betancu, José Herrada (Movistar), Damiano Cunego, Giacomo Berlato (NIPPO-Vini Fantini), Ruben Plaza (Orica GreenEDGE), Georg Preidler (Giant-Alpecin), Egor Silin, Rein Taaramae (Katusha), Twan Castelijns, Primoz Roglic (Lotto NL-Jumbo), Christian Knees, Nicolas Roche (Sky), Laurent Didier (Trek-Segafredo), Matteo Busato, Daniel Martinez (Wilier-Southeast).

They have around 4'-20"
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I think they've got it right, saving the decisive stages for the final week but still offering a few skirmish points along the way. Better than recent TdFs where an early high mountain finish has all but ended the GC battle.

It's really hard to call, Kruiswijk looks strong though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Punchy break.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I think it's been OK so far and it's nicely poised - unfortunate Landa has gone home but that's nothing to do with the route. I quite like a parcours where the rider has to take the initiative to make a difference rather than just a succession of mountain top finishes where the one with the best power to weight can make it count without taking a risk tactical or otherwise.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Is it just me, or does the break look exactly the same as yesterday...?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yes, the final Km, where we can look forward to a 10 seconds gap... that's excitement... :-)

Nibali yesterday was so pleased with himself on the Gazzetta for taking 4 seconds time bonus... miss the good ole days of Chiappucci breaking away for the all day...
  • Have ridden this loop from Allegehe - the Giau is a right swine, there'll be some selection there.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    David Lopez out front on his own.
  • bobmcstuff
    Yes, the final Km, where we can look forward to a 10 seconds gap... that's excitement... :-)

Nibali yesterday was so pleased with himself on the Gazzetta for taking 4 seconds time bonus... miss the good ole days of Chiappucci breaking away for the all day...

When I were a lad...

I think that's more to do with the riders being a lot closer together in terms of ability rather than anything to do with course design.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    I've obviously been watching a different race.
    To me, the RCS have given us a route more typical of a TDF than a Giro.
    So what we are getting is a typical TDF, only well watered down.

At least these here Dolomites have seldom looked better.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    I've obviously been watching a different race.
    To me, the RCS have given us a route more typical of a TDF than a Giro.
    So what we are getting is a typical TDF, only well watered down.

At least these here Dolomites have seldom looked better.

I don't think anyone's really disagreeing, just saying it's still been reasonably entertaining.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Stunning scenery. I'd love to cycle there one day.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • bobmcstuff
    Another one bites the dust - Hesjedal abandon
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Why are so many top riders abandoning the race? Is it fatigue, saddle sores, struggling in the mountains or are so far out of contention they're saving themselves for a later event ?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • mechanism
    ben@31 wrote:
    Why are so many top riders abandoning the race? Is it fatigue, saddle sores, struggling in the mountains or are so far out of contention they're saving themselves for a later event ?

Yes. Plus crashes and illness.
  • bobmcstuff
    Kittel obviously abandoned for France.

Landa had the sh!ts

Dumoulin saddle sores

Hesjedal wasn't looking too bad and was only at 4'50" or so, not sure why he's dropped out yet.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Hesjedal wasn't looking too bad and was only at 4'50" or so, not sure why he's dropped out yet.
    A brown alert. Same as Landa.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    The racing is so so, but it's great to see the Dolomites. Roads I've ridden many times, and the best place in the world to ride imo. Looking forward to seeing them zip up the Giau.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    poor Amador dropped :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mechanism
    Gap to the break has dopped from 8 to 5 mins since Astana took up the pace.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    That Is spectacular scenery. Would love to do that climb.