Silly single speed conversion

vpnikolov
vpnikolov Posts: 568
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Constantly maintaining/fiddling the stupid Claris on my commuter Allez 2014 resulted in desire for a single speed conversion.

I can even see other people have done it:
http://thecyclehub.net/unique-specialized-allez/

I am thinking about more or less the same setup - mount the cog with spacers on the freehub, remove the dérailleurs (front and rear along with the cables of course), change the brake levers and the drivetrain. As the dropout is vertical, I'd imagine I need a chain tensioner as well.

48x16 would be a good ratio I reckon.

Any thoughts on this setup? I think it will come out quite cheap (below 100 quid).

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Yeah, why not? Is it your only bike? That might be a reason not too if you suddenly fancy a longer hillier ride (not that you can't do that sort of thing SS).

I did something similar by degrees and it got better and better as it became more like an off the shelf fixie rather than the cobbled together bike it started as. For instance, a nine speed chain is designed to wander around you're better off with a single speed chain. Get a spacer kit and the tensioner you'll be fine. 48 x 16 sounds doable but on the higher geared side of things, depends what gradients you'll be tackling (each to his own really).
  • vpnikolov
    This is the commuter, I have a supersix for weekend/hill rides. The route to my office is absolutely flat, so no concerns ratio-wise.

I will probably start ordering the parts soon and will be updating the thread.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    48 x 16 is an 81 inch gear, might want to try 48 x 18 which is a 72 inch gear which is a pretty good all round gear for the road. if your rides are very flat then maybe a 17 or 16 sprocket would be ok
  • vpnikolov
    Any recommendations on a good track crankset for the conversion?
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    shimano dura ace or miche? oh and 1/8 chains - i like wipperman connex 1z1 as it's got a rustproof coating
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    A very cheapo conversion on my daughters Allez, planet x spacers and 16t spocket plus tensioner, retained the 105 chainset and fitted a 48t stronglight chainring from Spa Cycles. All up about £30.
    Excuse the condition of the bike but perhaps you can understand why I did the conversion!

IMG_20160520_115603324.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    48 x 16? Bit harsh!
    left the forum March 2023
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    48 x 16? Bit harsh!

It's the only way I can beat her up hills now!

I offered her an 18 but she declined, it's her commuter bike and it's a fairly flat route. I have repeated the offer and she says she's happy with the 16. Maybe when she can't get her jeans on she may reconsider!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    it's a big gear for a man, it's a massive gear for a girl
    left the forum March 2023
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    She's a very strong rider, when she used to go on club rides she was in the top 10 up the hills and in the front pack most of the time. That's on her Colnago road bike not the SS! She went out on a few of the fast chaingang rides and acquitted herself very well by all accounts.
    I take your point and have warned her about looking after her knees, I didn't encourage her to go for that gearing, she's 20 and makes her own mind up.