Project High End Hack

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited May 2016 in Your road bikes
I started off looking at potnetiall building a fixie at the end fo last year, as work has been rather pants of late I decided to build myself a training bike due to the fact that I need to have a 'spare' bike available to send on holiday in the summer.

Well, as per things with many of us on this forum, things started to get out of hand... just buying some old bits has morphed into a project I have termed: High End Hack

Its now a carbon framed, new Shimano 105 and I will be building my own wheels up with the help of a friend. Just for a bit of fun... I've started weighing everything....

Bars, bar tape and tyres
12370245665_4d1da31dba_z.jpg

Front, rear derailleur and casette
12370717524_0a0a6906f7_z.jpg

BB and cranks
12370419513_056a93c9cf_z.jpg

Brakes and Shifters
12370265075_98afd3e9f7_z.jpg

Skewers and Hubs
12370429943_58b36b0185_z.jpg

All going on this
12430704363_9187f5faec_z.jpg

As of Sunday night, this is where I had got to and the digital hand held luggage scales had it at 4290g
12430700533_e7ce4b3c6f_z.jpg

I'll update as I make process
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• Ha ha, I was doing the same with my recent build, weighing every part as I went along, but got bored pretty quickly, missed a few bits and settled with weighing the bike at the end.

Good luck with the build!
  • Love a High End Hack...........heres a link to mine viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12956210

Exactly the same scenario - fancied upgrading a few bits, so bought some Ultegra 6600 brakes, then I saw a cheap carbon frame, then some mechs, etc etc....and it ended up looking like this!! :D

Looking forward to seeing how you progress and the finished bike
  • brettjmcc
    Nice bike. Budget should be about the same. The 105 is new from the recent Ribble deal. Spokes arrive today by courier, so I need to get in touch with my friend to build the wheels up. They'll be a little heavy, but cost for the wheels will be about £125 with 105 hubs, Mavic CXP22 rims and ACI spokes.

Need to find a saddle. That may blow the budget if I decide to go with what I have on my Cannondale, a Fizik Kurve Chameleon... I pretty much have everything else I need to build it, I just need time now!
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • 780 for a 105 crankset. That's pretty heavy for 2014. If your frame is BB30 a Sram 900 is a lot lighter.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • brettjmcc
    Actually I don't think it's too bad... I thinkt he claimed weight when 105 was launched was 834g. I've seen that BikeRumour measured a 5700 Compact at the same crank length (172.5mm) at 723g. It's a standard Hollowtech BB.

I have an option potentially of using the cranks that came with the frame, some SL-K pro cranks at 170mm, but would need to put chainrings on them (and I haven't bothered to check the BCD)

12411008375_a5dc7277c4_z.jpg
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • now you've posted that pic with the chainrings, I remember seeing that on here for sale and was sorely tempted...should build up into a nice bike....keep us posted :wink:
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Looks good. Did you forget to weigh the stem and bottle cage?
  • brettjmcc
    Ha, nope :D Done later and not put into Photogrid!

Stem is an old Cannondale C3 stem at 120g and Cage is an Elite unit with 5mm button head at 49g. If I was going to get really weight weenie, I'd be getting shorter bolts to save all of a micro gram (I have to get bolts anyway, as I knicked them from my TT bike!)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice scales...
  • Nice project, thinking of something similar myself, but as you say it starts out simple and then you decide to go much further.

I cant decided whether to build a better bike slowly and use my existing as a winter bike, or the other way round decisions, decisions.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • brettjmcc
    Markjapi, it depends, I guess what your current bike is and what you ultimately plan to do with it. I was planning to retire my Cannondale to become the Winter/Training bike when the time came, but a situaion made me decide to speed up getting another bike. The Dale will probably go next year or the year after now to be replaced by something I will take my time to build, with maybe even a couple of wheelsets. I'll pull the pieces together over time to spread the costs, this remarkably has been approved by the senior management committee already, but I guesss I will only be 40 once :wink:

I was going to have a look at a second hand bike for the 450/500 mark. When I started looking, I wasn't sure if I would have been happy wih it. At least this way I only have myself to blame; plus I like to tinker and build stuff. I guess I could have gone cheaper, but I was seeing 105 groupsets 2nd hand going for near or over 200 and when I saw the ribble offer, I decided that I couldn't be bothered to hunt on eBay and the forum etc

Spokes arrived tonight, maybe it's manufacturing tolerances, but I guess I expected the 288mm to be the same weight or a little less than the 290mm; certainly not 10g more

12462970255_94154d5136_z.jpg

RideOnTime, glad you like the scales
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Lets guess the final weight for a bit of fun?! Medium frame?.......erm?.....erm? maybe 8.1kg'ish :roll:
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    "Spokes arrived tonight, maybe it's manufacturing tolerances, but I guess I expected the 288mm to be the same weight or a little less than the 290mm; certainly not 10g more"
    Did you weigh the tape?
  • brettjmcc
    Gethinceri, I've taken them out of the tape. Actual weight will be still 10g difference, it comes to 233 and 243.

johnnymcg259 - it's a PX Superlight Small frame, but has a alloy seatpost in it. You're close on what the spreadsheet guesstimates are :D
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Nice but are you sure it wouldn't have been cheaper to just buy the Pro SL with Ultegra direct from PX?
  • brettjmcc
    Chadders81, I guess 2 points to your question.

1/ This will still be £300 cheaper and 2/ I wouldn't get to tinker and also start to have fun building my own wheels. Though looking at that claimed weight on the wheels on the bike you are talking about I could probably upgade some tim in the future and lose a bit. My wheels will be heavy, as they will be 36H front and rear.

Now for some other question to the forum members. The frame came with a set of FSA SL-K carbon cranks. They are 130BCD same as the 105. So do I put the full 105 on, or take the cranks off the 105 and use the carbon cranks?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    I'd be weary of clamping the top tube on that stand...nice project otherwise!
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    Gethinceri, I've taken them out of the tape. Actual weight will be still 10g difference, it comes to 233 and 243.

johnnymcg259 - it's a PX Superlight Small frame, but has a alloy seatpost in it. You're close on what the spreadsheet guesstimates are :D

I've got the same frame but in a medium - its 4 years old now I think? It's my summer bike and has dura ace C24 wheels and a mix of dura ace 9000/ultegra 6800 groupset + pro vibe bars stem/seatpost = 7.1kg so with yours being Shimano 105 I've just added a bit. The frames ride ok for the money.

Enjoy! :D
  • brettjmcc
    yaya wrote:

Why because it's carbon? Don't tell me, the plastic bike should not be clamped like that :roll:
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Looking forward to seeing it finished. :) Might be a bit safer to put the clamp on the seatpost.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    brettjmcc wrote:
    yaya wrote:

Why because it's carbon? Don't tell me, the plastic bike should not be clamped like that :roll:

No. It shouldn't. The lay-up of the carbon isn't designed to withstand forces applied in that direction/manner. The second role of a seatpost is to serve as a clamping point. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • brettjmcc
    Finished putting in the groupset last night and transferred the post and saddle from the Cannondale to go out for a ride today. My friend is away for a week or two, so I won't have a chance to build up the wheels, so also transferred over the Kysriums.

12560730413_8ce864ae3e_z.jpg
    Untitled by Brett-GT40, on Flickr
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc
    It's taken a while to get calendars to align, but I finally made it round to my friend's house last night and so had the pleasure in being instructed on how to build wheels. I could have quite easily opted for some same price or cheaper factory wheels, but I've been fascinated by wanting to understand how to do it, so was prepared to have a go.

The rims are Mavic CXP22 with ACI DB spokes and 105 hubs. The hubs were on offer as 36H, and as this is a training set I am not overly fussed (at the moment) about the weight that they have come to: 940 F; 1150 R. I am however, quite chuffed that I have now done this and am already planning the build to maybe do a set or Archetypes for the Synapse on Dura Ace and DT Aero :roll:

13102195344_0b050fa0b7_z.jpg

Also, won a FSA K Force seat post on eBay for a tenner, but it was in a badish condition; a bit of time cleaning/chasing and regalvasining/painting the bolts and then a light rub with 600 Wet & Dry and some Acrylic laquer and it looks in pretty shape again :D

13029155014_c26cc47326_z.jpg

Final bits are to finalise the stem height and possibly cut the steer and then order a Kapz cap for a bit of bling
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc
    2 years between updates

Well, the bike rode great and spent time in winter turbo and as a travel bike. It's being 'retired' down to a place in France that I have access to so I don't have to transport it there anymore.

New additions are: shorter stem, new build wheels that have shaved 500g over the heavy training wheels I built, I've also now added a second cage using an Elite bottle strap.

27049676941_e3890c63b1_c.jpg
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Looks much better now. What wheels are they?
  • Camcycle1974
    I can see now that they are Archetypes! hubs etc would still be nice to know.
  • brettjmcc
    Wheels are built by me :O)

You are correct, Archetype hard anodised

Front is 24H radial on a Novatec A291SB and DT Swiss Revolution
    Rear is 28H 2x on a Novatec F482SB and DT Swiss Competition DS and Revolution NDS

All in they owe my about £235. Here's another pic of the wheels for you

27002234432_53ce9b5e4f_c.jpgDSC_0926 by Brett, on Flickr
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc
    PS properly rode it for the first time today, not that far only 50K, as have been off bike for 8 months. Wheels are really great. I'd like to try a back to back on the HED Belgium Plus I built for my BMC Granfondo, but the PX frame won't take it.

Very much looking to trying them out now around the Haute Var area :)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Camcycle1974
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Wheels are built by me :O)

You are correct, Archetype hard anodised

Front is 24H radial on a Novatec A291SB and DT Swiss Revolution
    Rear is 28H 2x on a Novatec F482SB and DT Swiss Competition DS and Revolution NDS

All in they owe my about £235. Here's another pic of the wheels for you

27002234432_53ce9b5e4f_c.jpgDSC_0926 by Brett, on Flickr

Lovely looking wheels. I have the black ones but the grey look even better. You have helped to make my mind up, I was wavering on getting some factory built Shimano Ultegras but I think these will be better. The hubs are fine, I had them on a set of carbon wheels I have just sold. Will assemble the bits but not got the skills to build them.
  • brettjmcc
    Where are you based? I am no Ugo, but have done myself about 4 sets of wheels now and one for a friend. Happy for you to come and use my equipment and learn :)

Where I sourced my stuff
    Wiggle for the rims
    eBay for the Rims (Spokesman Wheels, uid: foxenhole)
    Bike 24 for the Spokes, nipples and Veloplugs
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon