De-stickering my Zondas

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited May 2016 in Commuting chat
I wanna remove the stickers from my campag zondas...whats the easiest way of doing this? Hair dryer to heat the sticker up then pull off? Some kind of sticker remover stuff also? Which one?

They've got 1500 - 2000 miles on if that makes any difference. Just wanna clean them up (inc the rims) for the posh bike as they're considerably lighter.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Not having an extension cord long enough to reach the garden, nor permission from the other half to use her hair-dryer, I used a plastic ruler to lift an edge of each transfer and then veeery slowly pulled them off, with WD40 and a rag to get any leftovers. It took more than an hour at six stickers per wheel but made the bike look a lot better. The wheels were stock Fulcrum 77 CX and nothing flash.

I'd use the WD40 for a rim-braked bike, too, but would be a bit more careful at cleaning up afterward :)
  • chazzo
    chazzo Posts: 8
    @jamesco: well done for your persistence. I hate stickers and am currently trying to remove them from my rims, but these ones are fragile and tend to split into layers. I can recommend KleenEze Sticky Stuff Remover, which is citrus-based. However, my bottle has run out and I don't know where to get any more. Perhaps a citrus degreaser would work? WD40 in my experience is not really up to the job.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Maybe a bit overkill, but Nitromors did the job with my American Classic track wheelset. That was paint on anodised rims though.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Heat with a hairdryer, start to ease it off and a little solvent (petrol or white spirit - the latter if you are a smoker for sure) to keep it going as you peel, and then to remove any residue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cookeeemonster
    Thanks peeps, will have a crack at it the weekend and let you know how I got on
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    In the days of shopping at the Notting Hill Record and Tape Exchange, I found that the application of lighter fluid was the best way to remove the sticky residue after peeling the large price labels from the record sleeves. Shouldn't aversely affect the braking surface.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've done the same to the wheels I have that are over-stickered. I used an old store loyalty card to get the edge of the stickers up then finished the job with Muc-off degreaser to clean up the residue. No worries about braking performance as the wheels are for disc brakes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

So how did you get on then?
  • Good topic, as i'll be hoping to desticker some Mavics as soon as I get them....
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Good topic, as i'll be hoping to desticker some Mavics as soon as I get them....

Likewise with my new Fulcrums. Mach1 stickers on my new SS wheels are peeling off by themselves. :roll:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • chazzo
    chazzo Posts: 8
    I managed to get my stickers off using various citrus degreasers, but what a lot of work! These ones seemed to be laminated into multiple layers, including clear bits that were prone to tearing. You need a solvent that doesn't evaporate too fast, so I guess lighter fuel might be best. Good luck all.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    White spirit?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Boiling water works quite well and also means you don't risk burning anything (except maybe your fingers!)

The decals on my Anerican Classics look like they'll never come off
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The decals on my Anerican Classics look like they'll never come off
    Nitromors

Sorted out my AC's
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cookeeemonster
    johngti wrote:

Used the hairdryer method with a bit of degreaser to remove the residue.

F**king boring, tedious, result didn't justify the effort and I gave up after one sticker was removed.

Pah!!! Waste of time...looked better before ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    At least apple will know know how to follow up this add: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbWyYr82BM
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    johngti wrote:

Used the hairdryer method with a bit of degreaser to remove the residue.

F**king boring, tedious, result didn't justify the effort and I gave up after one sticker was removed.

Pah!!! Waste of time...looked better before ;)

Did my SS Mach1 rims by pulling the stickers off, no residue, took about a minute, looks great. As for the Fulcrums I don't think I'd be as lucky so I don't think I'll bother. Suspect they'll look naff stickerless too.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • saddlesaw
    saddlesaw Posts: 8
    label remover from maplin and some thick kitchen roll will certainly remove the sticky residue, however if your wheels are carbon, cannot confirm it won't damage any lacquer or the carbon fibre.
  • You can get sticker residue off with Butter.

Yes the stuff you spread on bread...