Recommend me a snug jacket

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,439
edited May 2016 in Commuting chat
This mornings wind and rain has highlighted the fact that when it's not that cold I don't have a decent jacket.

I'm looking for something for the days like today when a gilet isn't quite enough, but it's too warm for a softshell like I wear in the winter ( I run quite hot), I've got a cheap aldi emergency jacket which would do if it fit better, but it bellows and flaps like a bellowy flappy thing.

It needs to be well fitted, a bit of stretch would be nice, packable, bright and windproof. Waterproof isn't a dealbreaker.

Overall it needs to be cheap, I am skint.

Cheers
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    prawny wrote:
    This mornings wind and rain has highlighted the fact that when it's not that cold I don't have a decent jacket.

I'm looking for something for the days like today when a gilet isn't quite enough, but it's too warm for a softshell like I wear in the winter ( I run quite hot), I've got a cheap aldi emergency jacket which would do if it fit better, but it bellows and flaps like a bellowy flappy thing.

It needs to be well fitted, a bit of stretch would be nice, packable, bright and windproof. Waterproof isn't a dealbreaker.

Overall it needs to be cheap, I am skint.

Cheers

Sportful Fiandre Light No-Rain top fits the bill - I shoved fluoro yellow one in my back pocket this morning, though it wasn't needed in the end, as I just about missed the rain. It ticks all of your boxes, except perhaps cheap. I got mine from Evans last year for £50, but it seems to be double that at the moment unfortunately. Note that it's the "top" I have, not the jersey or the jacket.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Galibier Tourmalet is a good one. Wearing it last night for club marshalling duties, it let in a bit round the zip but in fairness I was standing in place for an hour and it was absolutely lashing.

Packable and quite snug on, comfortable on bike too.
  • prawny
    I like the look of that tourmalet, but I can't bring myself to wear a black jacket, I don't want to give any of these goons round here any excuse when they inevitably run me over.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Answer, as always, is Gabba.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rapha hardshell no question, just mine the whole 2.5 miles to the pub
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Which bit of overall it needs to be cheap I'm skint are the Rapha and Castelli boys at? :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Santini Taka jacket - lightweight, packable, windproof, various colours etc. They sell for much less than the RRP.
  • prawny
    Which bit of overall it needs to be cheap I'm skint are the Rapha and Castelli boys at? :D

I know :lol: I'm birmingham skint not London skint, ie, I'm not going just not going skiing, I actually have very little of my overdraft left.

Also, on the gabba, the other must have that I forgot to mention, it has to be quick drying, I've got nowhere proper to dry my gear at work, just a coat stand in the filing area. Plus a gabba would have been too hot on my way home tonight so I'd prefer a shell type that I can wear or not depending on the temps.

Has anyone tried the dhb Classic or aeron windproofs?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    Origamist wrote:
    Santini Taka jacket - lightweight, packable, windproof, various colours etc. They sell for much less than the RRP.

That looks good, prendas have got the updated version for £50 too at the moment. Could be a winner.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Decathlon have this on offer, it got good reviews etc and is a keen price t £34.99.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-membrane ... 43686.html
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Decathalon do a windproof jacket for £19.99 if you want really cheap. Has vents under arms and back to help breathability. Worn it a couple of times for a passing shower...been impressed for the price. Need to size down though for a snug fit.

It's very light and packable
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    Whats your top budget?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've got a large dhb Windslam Roubaix jacket that needs a new home. Black and white, good condition, £20
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prawny
    TonyJams wrote:
    Whats your top budget?
    Probably £50 give or take a few quid.

The sportful top is probably what I'm after, but twice the price I want to pay.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    dhope wrote:
    I've got a large dhb Windslam Roubaix jacket that needs a new home. Black and white, good condition, £20

Cheers for the offer, but similar to other jackets I've got that are a bit too warm.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I used to live in my Aldi Spring soft shell jacket. Quite thin, breathable and slightly water resistant:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-softshel ... 7006709000
  • prawny
    I used to live in my Aldi Spring soft shell jacket. Quite thin, breathable and slightly water resistant:

Evidently I run hot, because I've got two of those, and they're my go too winter jackets. I only put something over it if it's cold and wet or if it's forecast to be below -5 I get the aldi winter jacket out.

I'm starting to think some nanoflex arm warmers might be a better idea.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Anything over +6 and its a base layer T for me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • prawny wrote:
    I used to live in my Aldi Spring soft shell jacket. Quite thin, breathable and slightly water resistant:

Evidently I run hot, because I've got two of those, and they're my go too winter jackets. I only put something over it if it's cold and wet or if it's forecast to be below -5 I get the aldi winter jacket out.

I'm starting to think some nanoflex arm warmers might be a better idea.

I use Torm arm-warmers most of the time with a jersey, and a base-layer if it's chilly, not waterproof but it hardly rains in Scotland.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    After struggling to find a decent windproof in a bright colour, I ended up with a running one by Ronhill their "pursuit" jacket.

It is very breathable (better than the montane featherlite velo that it replaced due to me washing it at 60C) and has a couple of pockets that I use for my work pass and keys.

It is a bit flappy, but it does mean I can pull the arms up and increase ventilation that way.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Simple solution - buy any jacket a size up, stop cycling and eat lots of pies. Stop eating and start cycling when the jacket is suitably snug.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • prawny
    Rolf F wrote:
    Simple solution - buy any jacket a size up, stop cycling and eat lots of pies. Stop eating and start cycling when the jacket is suitably snug.

That's kind of what I've done in the end. I've bought a DHB Classic rain shell which seems about as breathable as my current non waterproof, but I got a size small. Because it's a bit stretchy it fits perfectly.

The red isn't as bright as I'd hoped, but my thinking is if it's raining enough to need the jacket I'll have my lights on anyway.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017