Oh ******* how big a numpty am I?

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited May 2016 in Workshop
There's a hole in my downtube.

26482877223_ffb380f70b_k.jpg
Or at least a big dent. I noticed it last night, I have no idea how or when it got there: there's no obvious mark of an impact or anything. I have only been out on it a handful of times since the summer bike came out of hibernation. It's entirely possible the dent's been there for a while, I guess - as you can see I don't always clean and polish it every time I go out. I used it for a couple of 20 mile-ish commutes last week, it seemed to have developed a pretty horrendous BB creak in the 3 weeks or so since I last used it, could there be any connection?

It's a PX XLS, i.e. the supposedly robust carbon CX frame.

More importantly, what the heck do I do about it?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You donut! That's there on purpose to allow space for the front mech!

:D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    jeez thats bad luck, frame looks a write off

i run a small recycling business, so if you post the complete bike to me (at your cost) i ll make sure its disposed off in an environmentally friendly way.........
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NapoleonD wrote:

More to the point, how come he didn't notice that someone had stolen his front mech and inner chain ring?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just to allay your fears and support the pertinent advice above.

FRPXXLS_P1.jpg?v=t

Have a close look at the seat tube above the bottom bracket. Ah - what's that I see - an indentation.

Don't worry - we've all had our DOOOOH!! moments
  • bompington
    Rolf F wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

More to the point, how come he didn't notice that someone had stolen his front mech and inner chain ring?
    Well...
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
    ... a few take home points for me then:

1. I've had the bike for 6 months and I've never noticed that before. There must be some useful conclusions to draw from that...
    2. A little more research maybe before panicking live on the internet can save a lot of humiliation
    3. I'd rather be humiliated on the internet than have a hole in my seat tube
    4. At least no-one has noticed yet that, in my consternation, I called the seat tube the downtube.
  • bompington
    ..and what's more: PX had agreed to swap the 42T front ring for a larger one. I've just realised, from the pic, that they never did.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm just glad you managed to retrieve the bike after it fell in the canal.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,438
    mamba80 wrote:
    i run a small recycling business....

Hmm... I feel a turf war coming on.

Are you actually taking that CF frame out in the wet Bompy?! :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bompington
    Pinno wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    i run a small recycling business....

Hmm... I feel a turf war coming on.

Are you actually taking that CF frame out in the wet Bompy?! :roll:
    Nah, never rains here on the east coast. Although when we had the floods in Jan I did take it through a couple of puddles that came fairly close to the top tube.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    LOL !

this is also excellent evidence for the people who come on here claiming that some bike shop has damaged their bike.
    "there was no scratch before I left it...."

Just shows that we don't always notice the bleedin' obvious....

:-)
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,446
    Hehe. Embarrassed but mighty relieved!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,361
    bompington wrote:
    Keep quiet and hope nobody noticed? :wink:
    Presumably you don't wash your bike very often as that's the sort of thing you are more likely to notice when cleaning the bike. I hasten to add I am in no way criticising a lack of cleaning as that would be hypocrisy of the highest order.
  • bompington
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Presumably you don't wash your bike very often as that's the sort of thing you are more likely to notice when cleaning the bike. I hasten to add I am in no way criticising a lack of cleaning as that would be hypocrisy of the highest order.
    You mean we're supposed to wash them?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,046
    You shouldn't need to if you take them through puddles that deep.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,438
    bompington wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

FFS don't wash it. The carbon molecules in the soap will blend with the carbon molecules in the frame and the frame will become soft and squidgy and then you'll have to find a big oven and bake it in the oven for 35 minutes @ 17 deg c to get it hard again.
    You should have bought a steel Holdsworth. Don't mess with this really complicated stuff - it's for rocket scientists living in California where there is no rain or mud to enjoy once a month during their coffee break. I still don't understand people's complete and utter stupidity in buying carbon fibre bikes, it's reckless, dangerous and irresponsible...

Cont p94
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bompington wrote:
    4. At least no-one has noticed yet that, in my consternation, I called the seat tube the downtube.

As you clearly haven't checked, how do you know that there isn't a hole in your downtube?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,361
    bompington wrote:
    Only for the OCD types.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Probably frame is intact and you could touch it up with tartan paint to hide it. You would need a left handed paint brush or the pattern will be reversed.

PS THank you for this post makes me so happy to see I'm not the only one prone to this type of thing!
  • bompington
    Probably frame is intact and you could touch it up with tartan paint to hide it. You would need a left handed paint brush or the pattern will be reversed.

PS THank you for this post makes me so happy to see I'm not the only one prone to this type of thing!
    Fortunately I'm left handed, so have a large collection of left handed brushes. I did ask at my LBS ages ago what I should use to hold the repair down, the guy said that would be a long weight and told me he'd phone me back. Still haven't heard from him.