Driver's License

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,939
edited May 2016 in The cake stop
I've been looking at my Driver's License (in the process of car hire).

I still have the old paper type license, I've never had a photocard. Everything I read on the web says that the photocard was introduced in 1998. So I'm a bit confused as to how I was issued a paper license with Sept 1999 written on it as date of issue.

Any ideas?

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you've not changed your address - then they're still valid - so it doesnt matter. That said - the card is very handy and slimmer in the wallet.
  • capt_slog
    I know it's still valid (or I hope it is :D )

The bit I can't figure out is if photocards came into force in 1998, how can i have a 1999 paper version?

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dunno. Does it matter ?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Did you buy it off a bloke in a pub?
  • capt_slog
    orraloon wrote:
    Did you buy it off a bloke in a pub?

His name was Daniel Van Lowen Assen, The initials matched so i thought it was legit.

I've just called the DVLA (the real one, not Dan) and apparently they still issued the paper ones up until last year, which I found rather odd. So I am legal.

I've just been looking at my entitlements to drive, and it appears that I am allowed to drive a tank with L plates on. Great news for going off-road in Crete or I can start a small invasion as long as there is someone else with me who is qualified.

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I thought driving licences had to be renewed every 10 years? or is that just the photocard ones?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • capt_slog
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I thought driving licences had to be renewed every 10 years? or is that just the photocard ones?

Just the photocard.

But hows this for stupid?

I can* use the photo that they will get from my passport, that passport is now coming up for renewal, meaning that the photo is ten years old. You're supposed to renew the photo card every 10 years because the photo will be out of date. :roll:

*I asked this when I called.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Chris Bass wrote:

Well I've had this paper one since we last moved in 1989, so I hope it's just the photocard ones! I quite like my dog-eared old paper licence with it's collection of spent speeding convictions.

Eldest son had to replace his photocard one last year...He also used the linked photo from his passport which is hopelessly out of date :roll:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I've had my paper one since 1996 I think, doesn't need renewing until I'm 136 years old and having passed my test in 1985 have entitlement to drive loads that you done get automatically any more.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've had my paper one since 1996 I think, doesn't need renewing until I'm 136 years old and having passed my test in 1985 have entitlement to drive loads that you done get automatically any more.
    Mine's a 1981 vintage, and similarly can drive stuff like 7.5 tonne vehicles, and even tracked vehicles as a provisional licence.

When card licences came in I was going to get one, until I realised you still needed the paper counterpart. I know that that's not the case now, but unless we end up with passport/driving licence as one card, I probably shan't bother now.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah, when photocards came in, you still got a paper licence because they needed that to record your convictions and it was the paper part required by hire firms & police etc if you needed to produce your documents. The photocard was really little more than ID.

Then last year(ish) they did away with the paper part when it all went online. Now to hire a car you have to log into DVLA and ask them to share your details with a third party which generates a code you give to the hire firm. The police can access them direct.

But if you have never had a photocard and have the old/original paper licence, that is still valid and you dont need the photocard.

Mine is REALLY dog-eared now and in a sorry state but at least I dont need to mess around renewing it all the time.
  • capt_slog
    apreading wrote:
    But if you have never had a photocard and have the old/original paper licence, that is still valid and you dont need the photocard..

This is true. The problem I have is that in the terms and conditions of the car hire (HolidayAutos) it says that I have to have a photocard drivers license to pick up the car. Whilst I have managed for many years with the old paper, I'm pretty sure that this is the first time I've seen it in the T&Cs. No photocard could bugger up my holiday.

• Dougal_bug
    Dougal_bug Posts: 36
    "I can* use the photo that they will get from my passport, that passport is now coming up for renewal, meaning that the photo is ten years old. You're supposed to renew the photo card every 10 years because the photo will be out of date. :roll: "

This is true, but not if your passport is 10 years old at point of renewal. Re-did mine about a year ago and from memory my passport could not have been issued more than 5 years ago to allow me to agree to use the photo on driving licence that is already on the passport.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oh crap. I just got rid of my paper licence for a photo card one because I thought they were obsolete. I haven't driven for a long time!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    seanoconn wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oh crap. I just got rid of my paper licence for a photo card one because I thought they were obsolete. I haven't driven for a long time!
    I had actually gone on to the website to replace my paper one, and I think it reminded me that "you don't need to replace your paper licence", so I stopped. I hadn't twigged that the cards needed renewing even then, so I'm glad that I was dissuaded despite my ignorance
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    When the first photo licenses came out, originally a two part document, they were an option, you had to specify you wanted one.
    If you need to make any changes to the old one piece paper license (address, categories etc), you'll be forced to change to the new, one piece, photo version