Amgen Tour of California *Spoilers*

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited June 2016 in Pro race
Depending on the amount of traffic I'm happy to start a new thread for each stage, but we'll see how it goes.

For now. Yes. It's the big one. We kick off at Ski Beach, SanDiego 1130 PST with a stage that heads inland up Honey Springs Road, but even though this is a Cat1 climb it is still around 90km from the finish, so expect a bunch sprint as the riders head back towards the city.

profile-01.jpg

I was hoping to drink my way around the winery's of the parcours so to speak, but after the Chianti TT in the Giro earlier today that might not be such a good idea.

Hope Cav gets off to a flying start today, but I would also suggest keeping a lookout for the Axeon Hagens Berman squad of U23 riders, including Tao Geoghegan Hart.

Live coverage for each stage starts at 2200 BST on Eurosport. If you have the broadband as others have mentioned previously, the Amgen Tour Tracker is worth a try (& yes there's an app for that).

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Looking forward to seeing Logan Owen again from Axeon, and hoping that Moscon is free to ride for Sky. And Doull in the sprints too!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Turfle wrote:
    Looking forward to seeing Logan Owen again from Axeon, and hoping that Moscon is free to ride for Sky. And Doull in the sprints too!

Yep. My main desire in this race is to see some good youngsters. Logan Owen, Julian Bernard and Jhonathan Restrepo are 3 that I want to do well, as well as Tao and Doull.
  • RonB
    Just 20km from the off and there is a breakaway consisting of Oscar Clark, Daniel Eaton, Joonas Henttala, Danny Pate, Daniel Patten, Jacob Rathe, Michael Sheehan. Peloton must be happy with that, they are already 5mins in front.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    This seems an odd choice of race for Direct Energie, but keen to see how Coquard gets on.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RonB
    Calm before the storm. Cav takes it easy in the main field.

CihZvKgUkAAzY-P.jpg
    Source: Race Radio
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    This race seems a bit lumpy for Cav, no?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RonB
    Top of the climb and with 80km to go the break has a lead of just over 4mins. Oscar Clark was first to the top and will be on the podium later for the KOM jersey.
  • RonB
    60km to go and Katusha are controlling the gap to the leaders at 2mins as the route goes through some "Big Country" scenery before heading back to the coast.
  • RonB
    25km to go and the gap is down to 1min, which might explain why the lead group's cooperation has broken down. Michael Sheehan has taken max 6 seconds from the bonus sprints, so he could get 3rd overall, so long as there are no splits and he can hang on in the main field after the catch.
  • RonB
    Clark, Patten and Rathe have a lead of 38" with 10km to go. Katusha and Dimension Data doing most of the work for Cav and Kristoff in the main field.
  • RonB
    Chaotic sprint finish and Sagan takes it on the line. Cav boxed in by the barriers, Kristoff's leadout looked ok, but he didn't have the legs today.

CiiOV9KWkAAAFtz?format=pjpg&name=large

58900_ciigts2xeaajohr.jpg
    Source:Cyclism'Actu

1 Sagan
    2 Wippert
    3 Gronewegen
    4 Coquard
    5 Verschoor
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Sagan looked fast for a non sprinter, Cav just didn't have it when the speed went up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Sagan winning in California?

No. Way.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    Looked to me like Cav got boxed in and was 25 back with about 600m to go so just backed out of it
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Looked to me like Cav got boxed in and was 25 back with about 600m to go so just backed out of it

Yeah, he's been training with Wiggins and I'm guessing is taking on his approach of 'nothing is worth risking not being fit for Rio for'.

Sagan took that sprint like a machine.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Worth trying to find a highlight of the sprint. Sagan puts on an exhibition!

Its almost as good as Hugh McCarthy
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ddraver wrote:

By Hugh McCarthy, you mean Hugh Carthy. And even then you really mean Dan McLay (Carthy's a climber, McLay the sprinter)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:

I assume you mean Dan Mclay?

edit: curse you, Rich *shakes fist*
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Damn and blast!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RonB wrote:
    as the route goes through some "Big Country" scenery before heading back to the coast.
    So that's what Mexico looks like. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RonB
    Could've been worse. I was expecting comments like "looks nothing like Dunfermline". I should leave the scenery to Geologists I guess, but I thought they might be distracted by the Dolomites later this week :D

Stage 2 takes us from South Pasadena to Santa Clarita. Just 148km, but a number of climbs, lots of KOM points on offer for a break and opportunities for some late attacks towards the end of the stage.

Well that or another win from a reduced sprint for Sagan as others for the GC save their efforts for the MTF tomorrow.

profile-02.jpg
  • RonB
    Well underway and there is a break of 4 riders. Evan Huffman (Rally), Ben King (Cannondale), William Barta (Axeon Hagens Berman) and Sindre Skjoestad Lunke (Giant-Alpecin).

The four riders have developed a gap of 3'30" on the main field and they are around 5km from the highest part of today's route, on Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road.
  • RonB
    78km to go and 7'30" for the 4 man break.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Same old AToC, struggling to get a TV feed. It's the problem taking races to these developing nations!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Normal service has been resumed.
    i.e. no pictures.

Eurosport have already bailed in favour of WATTs
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    According to the ticker, Tinkoff have been sent to the front and they have shaved 2mins off the lead in no time.

Cim81BgWgAAXkcl.jpg
  • RonB
    42km to go and time gap is 3'30". Just for info for those following Phil and Paul on the excellent Amgen Tracker - the live coverage is around 40" behind the TV!
  • RonB
    Lead group down to 3 as Sindre Skjoestad Lunke (Giant-Alpecin) has been dropped. Peloton 3'25" behind with 30km to go.

King is doing all the work up front, deal been done perhaps as Huffman gets more KOM points over the last categorised climb of the day.
  • RonB
    Great ride by Barta but his day is done. Looks like a bunch sprint finish with 7km to go and a gap of 40".

Edit - time gap is 1min and just 2km left. Come on guys keep working together & you have a chance.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Time gaps not accurate so it looks like King and Huffman will battle for the win.