Shifting issue I can't get my head round

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just replaced the drive train on my CX bike.

It started life as a 50/34 compact with a 10 speed 11-25 (ish) cassette, standard tiagra mech. I swapped the mech to an old XTR 9 speed long cage mech and fitted a 10 speed 11-34 rear cassette.

This worked fine for 18 months at least - not perfectly crisp but very acceptable.

Having swapped out the cassette and chain though it will not shift into the lowest gear at the back - ie the 36 tooth cog.

It isn't the limit screws - I can push it across by hand, and it can't be the cable tension because how every much I tighten it it makes no difference (even to the point where it won't drop into the lower two gears).

So what gives? Is the mech stuffed? B limit need adjusting - gap looks ok to me....

Inspiration much appreciated

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    9 speed mech and 10 speed cassettes aren't compatible. You must have just had a bit of luck before to have got it working.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tiagra 10 speed mechs (road) have the same actuation as the 9 speed shimano (MTB) though. I am assuming is using a Shimano 10 speed road shifter or 10 speed 'flat bar' shifter?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Swapping a Tiagra to XTR with no other changes it should work fine, have you cleaned out the parallelogram pivots and lubed them, had this issue in my 9 speed XTR, it inhibited the upshifts and slackening off tension to help meant it wouldn't go in the lowest gear. I've also found the XTR to be pickier than the previous XT (same generation shadow mech).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Yes standard 10 speed road shifter.

It seemed to work pretty well before which is why I can't understand it!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Check the head of the gear cable hasn't been displaced and is seated correctly in the shifter.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009