How will you vote in the EU Poll

fenix
fenix Posts: 5,437
edited June 2016 in The cake stop
Genuine Question here - I see a lot of talk about voting out but Is it just that those voting In aren't shouting about it ?

So what do us cyclists think ? Are we naturally Europhiles ?

No need to discuss here - there's another thread about that.

Comments

• johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I love Europe, the culture, the cities, the Song Contest....
  • fenix
    I love that about 3 people view this page for every one voting. I wonder if the actual poll will be that apathetic.

Click the button lurkers !

:-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fenix wrote:
    I love that about 3 people view this page for every one voting. I wonder if the actual poll will be that apathetic.

Click the button lurkers !

:-)

You cannot.
    You have to be registered and logged in to vote.

Most of the lurkers will be voting out too :twisted:
  • fenix
    Why would lurkers be more likely to vote out ?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    No, the lurkers will hang around outside the polling booths but never go in and vote. I'm voting Remain because (a) no one has ever left the EU before* (b) I can't see the rest of the EU countries making it easy for us for fear of encouraging other leavers and (c) other countries such as the US will see us as a side issue - deal with the EU or deal with the UK? Priorities . . .

* OK, Greenland. A territory with only one industry and a smaller population than Ipswich, that's now quite keen to join up again.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yes - but I am really obviously biased and not sure I get a vote either way...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • fenix
    It's kind of looking decisive for the cyclist vote isn't it ?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Probably says a lot about how demographics will influence this vote. If you look on the forum twowheelsand2breezeblocksonaburnoutcarinmyfrontgarden.com then the voting there is going the other way...
  • fenix
    That demographic probably won't be arsed to vote though. It's probably a breach of their human rights for something to cut into Eastenders and their drinking time.
  • fenix
    Shameless Bump to get some more votes on the poll. Currently 2:1 to stay in.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    One month to go.

I wonder if there would be a different result over in mtb or commuting?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I'm voting to stay in, the economy does now seem to be genuinely on the up which from my point of view is excellent as it means our business is finally making some money after a few years struggling along with most other manufacturing outfits.

I think an exit will cause that recovery to stall, fast, and in a similar but not as dramatic version of the 2008 credit crunch/recession.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    johnny25 wrote:
    I love Europe, the culture, the cities, the Song Contest....

Are you Australian?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • fenix
    101 votes on this so far - so not QUITE definitive - but us cyclists seem to be very fond of Europe.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    cougie wrote:
    One month to go.

I wonder if there would be a different result over in mtb or commuting?
    MTB are mostly for remain judging by the thread in the CC. I strongly suspect that the commuters will be in, but there isn't a thread over there.
  • Anonymous
    Fenix wrote:
    101 votes on this so far - so not QUITE definitive - but us cyclists seem to be very fond of Europe.

I am quite fond of a few neighbours in our street, but I don't give them all keys to my house and let the residents committee tell me what to do in it!

Cyclists will still be as fond of Europe won't they?
  • Anonymous
    Fenix wrote:
    That demographic probably won't be arsed to vote though. It's probably a breach of their human rights for something to cut into Eastenders and their drinking time.

Its remain campaigners that love Human Rights Legislation IMO.

The Eastenders viewer with a car on bricks outside their flat is far more 'Throw the Paedo to the lions' I would have thought?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Remain with a 2/3 majority - can only hope that's how it turns out for real!!

Anyone care to guess what the real margin will be?

I'm going to put my neck out and say 53:47 to Remain.
  • Giraffoto
    Dear Mr Cameron,
    If the referendum results come in with a majority for Remain, the Leave campaigners are going to accuse you of rigging the vote. We all know they're going to say that anyway, so please can you actually do it just to be on the safe side?
    Yours sincerely, A. Voter
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pretty much what I would've expected on this forum. The demographic of the remain voter is more educated, much more likely to read The Guardian that The Daily Heil, green-conscious and not too right-wing.

As the same question on a soccerball forum and it would of been different, there outlook is completely different, your all muppets

...even though they'd be the ones who lost out if we were to leave.
  • Giraffoto
    Joelsim wrote:
    . . . not too right-wing.

. . .

What are you saying, comrade?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Joelsim wrote:
    Pretty much what I would've expected on this forum. The demographic of the remain voter is more educated, much more likely to read The Guardian that The Daily Heil, green-conscious and not too right-wing.

Ask the same question on a soccerball forum and it would have been different, their outlook is completely different, you're all muppets

...even though they'd be the ones who lost out if we were to leave.

So, stupid people voted Leave and all the educated ones voted to Remain? Except the majority of the people I know have a decent university degree and are in 'white collar' jobs...and the vast majority voted Leave for a whole variety of reasons.

I know a lot of Remain voters struggle with the concept but not all Leave voters are right wing or extremists, just have a different view of how the EU is best fixed. All sides seem to agree that the EU is broken but Remainers want to fix it from inside whilst Leavers want to get outside and then join the EU when/if it has sorted itself out so that we know what it is we are actually joining and can make a reasoned choice.

Personally, I am fed up to the back teeth of hearing politicians admit that the EU is broken but the best way of fixing it is to stay in, although mainly I am fed up to the back teeth of hearing politicians.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    ...although mainly I am fed up to the back teeth of hearing politicians.
    You will be happy to read that the majority of them seem to be resignng, and not one wants the top job.
    Sinking ship?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    So, stupid people voted Leave and all the educated ones voted to Remain? Except the majority of the people I know have a decent university degree and are in 'white collar' jobs...and the vast majority voted Leave for a whole variety of reasons.
    One thing I'm really fed up with these days is the way that so many people try to make arguments by exaggerating and misrepresenting any argument used against them: the classic straw man tactic.

So, yes, some disappointed (but mainly worried) Remainers are painting Leavers as stupid: because they think it is a stupid decision. But far more Leavers are howling "horrible snobs!" at people who are really just devastated and uncomprehending of those who have, as they see it, screwed up the country for no gain.

The truth is that all the real info available says that on average, people who voted leave are older, poorer and less educated than the younger, richer and better educated Remainers. On average - but by quite some distance. Not to mention the geographical "turkeys voting for Christmas" distribution.

Now I personally wouldn't distil all that into "stupid" but I can understand how some disappointed, scared and angry people might.
  • veronese68
    bompington wrote:
    Now I personally wouldn't distil all that into "stupid" but I can understand how some disappointed, scared and angry people might.
    I don't think all leave voters are stupid, just as I don't think they are all racist. But some are. The stupid ones are those that voted to leave as a protest but didn't actually want it to happen, or those that now realise the consequences and are asking why they didn't know that before.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    I don't think all leave voters are stupid, just as I don't think they are all racist. But some are. The stupid ones are those that voted to leave as a protest but didn't actually want it to happen, or those that now realise the consequences and are asking why they didn't know that before.

Would you think a remain voter was stupid if they based their vote on there being a punishment budget in the event of a leave vote?
  • veronese68
    Would you think a remain voter was stupid if they based their vote on there being a punishment budget in the event of a leave vote?
    Yes, because that's trivial compared to everything else. There are idiots all around us, or hadn't you noticed?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Yes. Because that voter clearly didn't understand the economic issues involved from a Brexit (like all Leave voters).
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, because that's trivial compared to everything else. There are idiots all around us, or hadn't you noticed?

For sure there are idiots everywhere :)

I was just bringing some balance into the conversation as everything said here was that only leavers were idiots