First Road Bike Advice

PaulZetter
PaulZetter Posts: 9
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am just getting into road cycling and would like some advice on my fist bike. I currently have a Boardman hybrid Pro that bought on the cycle to work scheme 5 years ago but it is to big for me and I have never enjoyed riding it so selling it to a friend. I am thinking about spending about £400ish on a second hand bike now before buying a decent new(carbon) in September(once the new models come out and get a deal on a 2016 stock). Then I can have 2 bikes for the summer and winter. Any recommendations on a good solid bike and what I should look out for buying a second hand one? Any help would be much appreciated or if you are selling a 56cm frame bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oxoman wrote:
    If you intend buying a decent bike later in the year you could do no worse than get a triban 500se from Decathlon under your budget. If you got the Triban you could use it as your winter bike once you got your nice bike.

Typo? 8)

Personally I would avoid the Triban.
    I know its the stock answer on here and it may be a great value bike for some, but it will be a bad winter bike for the OP in my opinion.

It is a triple, and it has junior levers to name the two main reasons.
    Triples are (at last) virtually non existent on (stock UK) road bikes now, and I have only previously seen junior levers on a junior bike.

The OP may be a small handed adult who really, really struggles up hills, but then he had better rethink his summer bike plans a bit.

The reality probably is that when he gets his new summer bike, he will not want to ride the triban that much because it will be too different (another reason is its weight), and end up selling it and getting a third bike.

The third bike thing is not the end of the world though. In fact it might be a good thing (resale on Triban should be good) in some ways, but generally I think getting a better first bike is the best option.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How tall are you OP?

If you want a 56cm bike I am Guessing about 6'
    How big was the hybrid for it to be too big for you if thats the case?

Your height means very little at the end of the day, as does the manufacturers frame size.
    Its more about your reach on a road bike and one six foot tall guy might need a 58cm bike in one brand, whilst someone else of the same height might need a 53cm in a different brand.

I get the feeling that you are not six foot tall, so be very careful if you do get a used bike.
    Road bikes are far less forgiving than a hybrid if you get one thats too big.
  • PaulZetter
    PaulZetter Posts: 9
    I'm 5'11 and I have tried out a few new bikes in the last week and I feel very comfortable on56cm frame and actually prefer the slightly more relaxed geometry(probably because u'm not used it o the full racing position) of the cannondale synapse so may opt for an endurance frame, but also really enjoyed the specialized tarmac sport so a bit in 2 minds!