mounting tubulars

rower63
rower63 Posts: 1,991
edited May 2016 in Commuting chat
I have a slow-going project to build up a 1990ish Bottecchia frame. Contemporary Campag BB, cranks, headset, brakes and seatpost and wheels have all been sourced.

ugo mated the hubs up to a pair of beautiful Ambrosio Nemesis rims he sold me. I have only just got around to getting some tyres for them. I have never fitted tubs before, and looking at the (Continental) instruction sheet that came with the tyres I realize that, as expected, it's a lot more involved than clinchers. But I hadn't realized HOW MUCH more involved.

The instruction sheet seems to be telling me to take the following steps:

clean the rim
mount the tyre without glue and pump up to 145psi
wait 3 days
deflate and remove tyre, reflate a bit and paint inner surface with glue, paint rim with glue.
wait 3 hours and repaint tyre and rim
wait 3 hours and repaint tyre and rim
wait some more (can't remember how long) and mount tyre onto rim
wait 24 hours
go and win a race

Is this how everyone does it?
Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
Ridley Noah FAST 2013
Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Or you could use tub tape. 5 minutes and you're done.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/velox-tubular-t ... rims-only/

I used to commute on tubs on my 80's steel peugeot. Good times.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If I recall, when I went to Ugos to collect my carbon tubulars and he helped me mount the tyres:
    - Put the new tubular on the rim, pump up and leave overnight to allow it to stretch (longer is better, 3 days is ridiculous).
    - Apply glue to the rim, allow to go off.
    - Apply 2nd coat to the rim and put the tyre on. I don't think glue was put on the tyre directly.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Thanks.

I realize I must be the 43570814th person to ask this question, so I had a quick look on BR's "past copies". I found one where ugo gives advice saying "... on my Nemesis rims ..." and realized that these must be the rims I now own!
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Use tape. Jantex 76 will be fine on Nemesis. I rode in this morning on exactly that combination (with Challenge Strada tubs) so I am at least putting my money where my mouth is. Just rub the inside of the rim down with some scotchbrite (to key the surface) and then clean it with alcohol before applying the tape. A good trick is to use a pencil inserted perpendicularly between the tyre and the rim to keep the basetape clear of the tape as you remove the cover strip from the adhesive; just push the pencil round the rim as you go. As an aside, use Jantex 14 if you ever go to carbon, as 76 isn't sticky enough for that.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Life is just too short for all of that faffing
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    As others have said, use tape for road tyres. Not that I'm recommending it, but if you take it easy you can actually ride with no tape or glue at all if the tyres are pumped up to road pressures; useful for completing your ride after a puncture. Just try mounting the tyre, inflating it and then try to remove it by hand.

For lower pressures (cyclocross), glue is essential.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    drlodge wrote:
    I don't think glue was put on the tyre directly.

Yes it was... maybe I did it the day before, can't remember
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    rower63 wrote:
    Thanks.

I realize I must be the 43570814th person to ask this question, so I had a quick look on BR's "past copies". I found one where ugo gives advice saying "... on my Nemesis rims ..." and realized that these must be the rims I now own!

Yes, those rims were the first to cross the finish line at the Retroronde 2012! You have a lot to live up to... 8)
    THose rims have already some old glue on, don't use tape. Just stick a new fresh layer of glue and one on the tyres and happy days
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    drlodge wrote:
    I don't think glue was put on the tyre directly.

Yes it was... maybe I did it the day before, can't remember

That would make sense, you put glue on the rim and tyre the day before, then when I came round put a second coat on the rim and put the tyre on.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    itboffin wrote:
    Life is just too short for all of that faffing

+1. It's 2016, not 1916... :P

It's just a hill. Get over it.