Last Film Watched

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Steve Jobs - it was a bit flat to be honest - it seemed to be entirely filmed in conference suites and stopped at the imac. Plain daft it was the ipod that change Apple. Seemed like they filmed it on a budget.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    WARNING: Possible Spoiler Alerts.
    Being out of the country for a while meant that I missed the original cinema release but having watched 'Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens' at home last night, I thought it might be time to revive this thread. I really enjoyed it from beginning to end but, all the way through, I kept thinking that it was almost exactly the same film as the first one (or the 4th, depending on how you look at it - ie. 'Episode IV - a New Hope') but with much more modern, and thus larger, SFX. Most of the characters were clones from the original and you just know that Kylo Ren is going to come back from certain death in the next one as a reincarnation of Darth Vader (right down to the scars and other injuries as a result of losing the final light sabre fight and falling into the abyss!) and that Luke will take on the Obi Wan mantle (right down to the same hoodie and general mysterious air about him!)

To be honest, and after further reflection, I think I kind of expected a bit more from JJ Abrams whose work I have admired since his early days working in TV.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Filth

Dark funny clever and sad,just like life,some good acting from lot's of familiar faces,loved it.
  • Recommend Black Mass/Deadpool..oh and one of my all timers..The Usual Suspects..watched again last night…epic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Sicario.
    Worth a watch. Well acted, well shot, tense, don't know where it is going.
    I want to avoid spoilers so all I will say is that while negative points can be raised, they are probably the point.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Hardcore Henry

Plot weak but effects and 1st person action were pretty ground breaking and very different
  • Bridge Of Spies

Great story,little bit of humor great acting from Tom Hanks.Just another superb Steven Spielberg movie. Well worth a watch!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Robert765 wrote:
    Bridge Of Spies

Great story,little bit of humor great acting from Tom Hanks.Just another superb Steven Spielberg movie. Well worth a watch!

Would it help? My new mantra for life.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    The Usual Suspects

Again!!!!!

I wouldn't watch it every day, but if I could only watch one more film then this is what I'd choose.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Robert765 wrote:
    Bridge Of Spies

Of course It would help :)
  • Taeo1
    Taeo1 Posts: 17
    300; Rise of an empire. Laughed most of the way through!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    In the Heat of the Night (1967) - Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger.........They call me Mr Tibbs. Excellent stuff.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Mr Goo wrote:
    In the Heat of the Night (1967) - Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger.........They call me Mr Tibbs. Excellent stuff.
    Classic. Netflix?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Robert765 wrote:
    Bridge Of Spies

+1 for film and a mantra which I have had for many a year.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    crispybug2 wrote:
    The Usual Suspects

I wouldn't watch it every day, but if I could only watch one more film then this is what I'd choose.

I like the film, but I think there is a flaw of logic in it which ruins it for me- Gabriel Byrnes character,Keaton, introduces Verbal Kint/Keyser Söze to the others as being someone he met in Jail, as they spent some time in a jail cell together- but if Keaton was in Jail with Kint then how could Kint be Söze? - and if the two werent in Jail together, then why would Keaton introduce him given he ends up getting killed?
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Watch a lot of films on a portable DVD player when on the long distance train or bus so take along those I aint watched for abit .last couple i took with me ..
    !..Drunken Master - Jackie Chan early film
    2/Threads- An atom bomb hits Sheffield.
    jc
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Captain America-Civil War.
    If you love Marvel adaptations then you'll love this. Certainly the best of the three headline outings for Capt America.
    Don't look for award winning script writing or acting because you won't get it. What you will get is a damned good film adaptation of a comic. No spoilers but it did prove to me who the best 2 Marvel characters of this universe are. Can you guess who they are?
    In the pantheon of Marvel films I would rate this 3rd behind Guardians of Galaxy in 1st and Deadpool 2nd.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    jc4lab wrote:

JESUS!!!!

As a adolescent in the early eighties, Threads scared me utterly shitless!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Florence Foster Jenkins.

A bit of a slow starter but a charming film. When did Hugh Grant get so old though ?
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited May 2016
    crispybug2 wrote:
    jc4lab wrote:

JESUS!!!!

As a adolescent in the early eighties, Threads scared me utterly shitless!

Easy to get on Dvd on amazon or Ebay.If you do look out for a Young Zak dingle on the Sheffield control Committee.Contains the famous Frankie goes goes Hollywood line,(When you hear the airraid warning you and your Family should take cover !!!)by Patrick allen.Its actually the real thing.They intended to us his voice at the time

Just bought another of the same Genre but have yet to watch it...The war Game from 1965 said be to be even scarier

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059894/

Edit..just watched and agree..An even more precise Graphic portrayal of what happens if an A bomb is dropped .Recommend both films..
    jc
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    4kicks wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    The Usual Suspects

I like the film, but I think there is a flaw of logic in it which ruins it for me- Gabriel Byrnes character,Keaton, introduces Verbal Kint/Keyser Söze to the others as being someone he met in Jail, as they spent some time in a jail cell together- but if Keaton was in Jail with Kint then how could Kint be Söze? - and if the two werent in Jail together, then why would Keaton introduce him given he ends up getting killed?

Isn't the account of what happened Soze's story though rather than what actually happened?
  • kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    MacBeth (2015 with fassbender).

Superb, but I am a MacBeth fanboi.
    Great cinematography, best ive seen I think. Great acting too.

Yes, they like to wisper in some places which makes it a little hard to hear some of the things they say but on the whole its very good.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Touching the void... gripping
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Robocop (2014 remake). Quite good and not just a retell, but none of the satirical/tongue in cheek stuff of the '87 Verhoeven original.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Touching the void... gripping

Read his other books, they're very good. Oh and try not to be on the same mountain as him, at the same time. He's a disaster.

On a similar vein (pun intended), watched 127 at the weekend. Even more incredible than Simpson's story (Aaron Ralston, he of cutting his own arm off with a blunt knife fame).
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Miles Ahead. Very entertaining, Don Cheadle did a good job and the music was great as well.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Kontroll - comedy about ticket inspectors on the Budapest underground. Not hilarious, but interesting to watch.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Watched Everest at the weekend - basically the story of the 1996 disaster.

Having read a few accounts of the incident (Krakauer, Boukreev etc) I have to say the film was a fairly faithful account of what went on. Certainly there wasn't too much exaggeration for dramatic effect, although inevitably much of the detail of what went on was lost.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Grosse Pointe Blank

Hadn't seen it in years & forgot how watchable it was for a (sort of) romcom. Disillusioned professional killer returns to his home town and goes to his high school reunion, whilst simultaneously being on a job and being stalked by the NSA, a rival who is trying to create a cartel, and another hitman hired to kill him because a previous client's dog got whacked by mistake. Some funny lines & a decent soundtrack.

"They've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    vimfuego wrote:
    Grosse Pointe Blank

Hadn't seen it in years & forgot how watchable it was for a (sort of) romcom. Disillusioned professional killer returns to his home town and goes to his high school reunion, whilst simultaneously being on a job and being stalked by the NSA, a rival who is trying to create a cartel, and another hitman hired to kill him because a previous client's dog got whacked by mistake. Some funny lines & a decent soundtrack.

"They've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"

Popcorn!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...