Bent rotor and 615 brakes

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
My rear shimano Deore 615 was a little odd today. Half way through the ride the lever began to travel to the handlebar, and would only bite if released and applied again. I couldn't see any obvious issues, so made it home a little slower than normal.

Any ideas as to what's up? Will a bleed fix it?

It also appears that the rear rotor is slightly warped/bent. Could the 2 be connected?

Is it easy to fix a bent rotor?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the brakes need bleeding or burping.

The rotor will not be connected to this issue. Warps can be bent back out if you are careful (adjustable spanner over the rotor, with the rotor protected with a oil free cloth), or even your thumbs (again, cover the rotor as not to contaminate).
  • mathematics
    Thanks, will try the spanner thing.

What's burping?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Opening the bleed port to let any exces fluid/air out (catch with a cloth) without a full bleed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    The Rookie wrote:
    Opening the bleed port to let any exces fluid/air out (catch with a cloth) without a full bleed.

Great, cheers. Like a mini bleed of the master cylinder.

The rear is a 160mm post mount can I get a post mount adapted to go 180mm?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The rear is a 160mm post mount can I get a post mount adapted to go 180mm?

Yes but do check to see if a 180 disc will fit as it might not give enough clearance from the inside of the frame.