Big lad bike

Biglad1991
Biglad1991 Posts: 5
edited May 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi there, I am a 6"3 lad who is 23 stone. I am wanting to shift weight and wanting to buy a bike. Any ideas would be great. Price limit would be about £150-£200 cheers in advance

Comments

• StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    First question will be what surfaces you intend to ride on?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless you are planning big distances and pushing it, cycling isn't great for losing weight.

I'd do food and walking first, unless by big you mean massive Arnold type muscles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Biglad1991
    First question will be what surfaces you intend to ride on?

The area is be going is flat pavement with a bit of slight gravel track,
  • Biglad1991
    cooldad wrote:
    Unless you are planning big distances and pushing it, cycling isn't great for losing weight.

I'd do food and walking first, unless by big you mean massive Arnold type muscles.
    I've done that and done a bit of research and seen bike is good for it but will also be doing other things too
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wouldn't normally recommend a bike like this as it is very heavy, and the forks have little damping - those big tyres should support you well though.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

Can get a further 10% off with membership to something I cant remember right now lol, British Cycling club or something. Unfortunately there is little else that is any good for this cash. Decathlon do a lighter bike for £240 ish, but much the same parts.
  • Biglad1991
    supersonic wrote:
    I wouldn't normally recommend a bike like this as it is very heavy, and the forks have little damping - those big tyres should support you well though.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

Can get a further 10% off with membership to something I cant remember right now lol, British Cycling club or something. Unfortunately there is little else that is any good for this cash. Decathlon do a lighter bike for £240 ish, but much the same parts.

What about the Apollo bike for £145 from halfords ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Apollos are BSOs, total rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As above, are awful. Very cheap, flimsy parts.
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    At that sale price in almost tempted to get that semi-fatty from halfords as a play around bike!!
  • Buelligan
    Buelligan Posts: 57
    Go 2nd hand IMO as you can pick up a lot more for the same money. I'm the same dimensions as you so I'm going to put my 2 penneth in if I may.

1. Warm up before riding
    2. Don't over do it as it will make you waver and give up
    3. Listen to your heart and lungs (and muscle burn), Pain is good, too much pain is bad.
    4. Build up your stamina 1st. Lots of short rides interspersed with the odd longer ride.
    5. Keep at it. You'll be amazed at the difference in a few weeks even if it is just posture and self confidence.
    6. Don't listen to the crap about muscle weighs more. Yes it does but it is also smaller so you will be leaner as well as fitter.
    7. Don't ever be tempted by lycra! At 6'3" and 20ish stone your obvious enough anyway without looking like a giant lemon, peach, traffic cone.
    8. Good luck
    '77 Specialized MTB
    '07 Specialized Hardrock
    '14 Cube Stereo HSA 140 SL Hybrid

http:www.bodgwynedd.com