Unlucky Spurs

oblongomaculatus
oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
edited May 2016 in The cake stop
Well, you have to feel a bit sorry for them, don't you? No title for over fifty years, then this season Chelsea implode spectacularly in the first three or four months, Man City and Arsenal are consistently inconsistent, Man U a shadow of their former selves, Liverpool rebuilding (again)... It should have been Spurs' year, but what happens? Leicester City!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Unlucky?

I am not a football fan, but you seem to be saying that Spurs can only win if the other teams have a sh1t season.

Thats not unlucky, thats untalented isn't it?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    I'm glad we could put them out of their misery at Stamford Bridge :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    You're a Chelsea fan too? Christ.

I live within a literal stone's throw of Stamford bridge.

Suffice to say Chelsea fans make me plumb new depths of horror about the state of humanity. Horrendous.
  • Stevo_666

Suffice to say Chelsea fans make me plumb new depths of horror about the state of humanity. Horrendous.
    Tory supporter
    Tax 'mitigator'
    Works for an evil multinational
    Chelsea fan
    Mountain biker
    Old-ish

I must tick all the boxes with you Rick :lol:

Glad to make your Saturday afternoons a pleasure :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Bet on a dating website you and Rick would match quickly eh.

And no, sport is cruel and though their behaviour may have been no better than others, it didn't make me like them. Anyway losing teaches more than winning (ask Chelsea, they won last year and where did they go?) more interested to see how both winners and losers do next time round
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Tory supporter
    Tax 'mitigator'
    Chelsea fan
    Mountain biker
    Old-ish

You're not the one shouting about anally raping people's mothers, making slit eyes at Chinese people on busses on the Kings road and p!ssing through my gate are you?

Or were you on the district line last night ending a shouting match with spurs fans by telling them to "go back to the showers"???

Charming bunch of people. Ironic thing is most of the fans don't live anywhere near Fulham or Chelsea.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    you seem to be saying that Spurs can only win if the other teams have a sh1t season.

Yes, in a way. Unlucky in the sense that several more likely teams all had a bad season at the same time and this improbability was combined with a bigger one, one, ie a team no-one dreamed would be in contention coming from nowhere. They certainly would have won if Leicester hadn't had a dream season.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Tory supporter
    Tax 'mitigator'
    Chelsea fan
    Mountain biker
    Old-ish

You're not the one shouting about anally raping people's mothers, making slit eyes at Chinese people on busses on the Kings road and p!ssing through my gate are you?

Or were you on the district line last night ending a shouting match with spurs fans by telling them to "go back to the showers"???

Charming bunch of people. Ironic thing is most of the fans don't live anywhere near Fulham or Chelsea.
    I'm not like that Rick, and I might be shocked if my wife and daughter behaved like that as they come along as well.

I have to say I am deeply offended that you have made these sweeping generalisations about me and all Chelsea fans based on the behaviour of a few deeply unpleasant individuals. Is there such thing as 'Chelsism'? If we can get ourselves recognised as some sort of minority we might be able to prosecute :wink:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As a Leicester fan, can I just say pffft to the idea that Spurs were unlucky. Spurs played Leicester twice and failed to beat them, both times through comical defending; once when they were all mentally high-fiving each other after scoring at the KP and within seconds Leicester equalised, and then at WHL when they gave away a pointless corner that an unmarked Hooofff scored from. 1 point from 6? Turn that round and they'd probably have won it, but they didn't. Leicester beat everyone that turned up, except for Arsenal*. Some they beat convincingly, some they squeaked past (Norwich, twice) but they beat them. 22 wins v 19 wins says something. Spurs weren't unlucky, they just weren't good enough.

Currently listening to the 5L Monday night special on the iPlayer from last night, live from a pub in Leicester. Brill.

* ok, and draws v Man U & Bournemouth
  • I agree, CiB, Leicester deserve to be champions. All I was saying was that Spurs had their best league season for half a century but missed still out because a better side emerged while all the usual suspects fell short.
    I didn't think what Leicester have done was possible any more, now that a select few clubs have so much money than the rest. Perhaps it shouldn't have come as such a surprise though. Though they just escaped relegation last season, their results in the run in suggest they were a side just beginning to gel into something special.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Though they just escaped relegation last season, their results in the run in suggest they were a side just beginning to gel into something special.

So we can expect Newcastle a champions next year, then!
  • mrfpb wrote:
    Though they just escaped relegation last season, their results in the run in suggest they were a side just beginning to gel into something special.

So we can expect Newcastle a champions next year, then!

No, Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Stevo_666
    Dates to just over as year ago when Chelsea were cruising to the PL title - I bet half of the people who voted against Chelsea were jealous Spurs and Arsenal fans :) We were too busy enjoying our football to vote on crap polls like that.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I bet at the start of the season if you offered a Spurs fan second place, with the CL qualification that brings, and finishing above Arsenal they'd have snapped your hand off.

Being a United fan, I'd certainly trade places!
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Dates to just over as year ago when Chelsea were cruising to the PL title - I bet half of the people who voted against Chelsea were jealous Spurs and Arsenal fans :) We were too busy enjoying our football to vote on crap polls like that.

I remember when Chelsea last won the champions league the fans got so excited they ransacked the wheatsheaf pub on Fulham road. It shut down after that.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    With the exception of the 96/97 season, the league winner has always had more than 2 points a game. Leicester have this, Spurs and rest don't. Leicester have 7 points more than Spurs which is hardly close, so I'm not sure that Spurs are in any way unlucky. Also, Liverpool finished 4th in 2007/8 with 2 points a game, so 2nd is quite higher based on the number of points.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I remember when Chelsea last won the champions league the fans got so excited they ransacked the wheatsheaf pub on Fulham road. It shut down after that.

A bit of a hasty decision, I can't see us winning it again for a while.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    All I was saying was that Spurs had their best league season for half a century but missed still out because a better side emerged while all the usual suspects fell short.

They have not equalled last seasons points total (72) yet so it could be argued they only look good because of the failings of everybody (Leicester aside) else
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    They are a young team with decent money... if they are champions, they'll come good in the next 2-3 years... otherwise it was a fluke and not worth talking about
    left the forum March 2023
  • CiB
    It could be argued that any team that doesn't win the league would have done if only there hadn't been better teams playing that season, but point taken.

Leicester have been on more than 2 points per game since October; Big Bean is right to point out that this is a determining factor. I also read somewhere recently that Spurs have actually done no better than an average Spurs season which if true suggests that they haven't been unlucky in having a cracking year only to be outdone by plucky Leicester, it's just that 2 or 3 other clubs have under-performed. And that's all it is. Man U have been no better than last year, Arsenal have done what Arsenal do every year, only Man C & Chelsea have done noticeably worse than expected but then Leicester took 4 points out of 6 from Man C, and 3 of 3 so far from Chelsea. Maybe that's the difference - if Leicester had seen the normal return from those two teams Spurs would have won it by now probably. Maybe.

If anyone outside of the M25 is reading this BBC East Mids have a special prog on tonight (Weds) at 22:45, looking at how Leicester won it. 5000-1 - How Leicester Beat The Odds. Sky ch 960, and the iPlayer afterwards apparently.

:)
  • Stevo_666
    The Spurs team should cheer themselves up with a nice slice of cake:

13087686_1030324200337808_7210804439757913661_n.jpg?oh=7d45a8f9fbb8ed9a4a9c05e09f21640a&oe=579F6861

Careful they don't choke near the end though :wink:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    For me, it's a case of Leicester won it, rather than Spurs lost it. The Foxes have been there and thereabouts for the whole season. It's not like Spurs have been top since September and threw it away with a run of bad games in the last 4 weeks or something. Four losses (and maybe five) is one hell of a season for any team. I still find it odd that a 5000-1 shot won something, but sometimes life throws a curve ball, just to keep us all interested.

A relative of mine is a Yid and his perspective - If, in August he was offered 2nd place, Champs League qualification and a higher finish than Gunners for the first time in Wenger's reign, he'd have opened that bottle of Veuve Cliquot,. He also says that knocking Leicester out of the Cup was a shame, and could ultimately have cost Spurs the League.

Are there really any sporting achievements that match Leicester's triumph in world sport? The only thing I can think of is the 1980 Lake Placid story of the USA hockey team beating USSR, but even that was a run of only a few games against ten months of dogged determination.

I'm off to put a fiver on Sunderland winning next year. Bet Ladbrokes won't be offering those odds again.....
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mouth wrote:
    For me, it's a case of Leicester won it, rather than Spurs lost it. The Foxes have been there and thereabouts for the whole season. It's not like Spurs have been top since September and threw it away with a run of bad games in the last 4 weeks or something. Four losses (and maybe five) is one hell of a season for any team. I still find it odd that a 5000-1 shot won something, but sometimes life throws a curve ball, just to keep us all interested.

A relative of mine is a Yid and his perspective - If, in August he was offered 2nd place, Champs League qualification and a higher finish than Gunners for the first time in Wenger's reign, he'd have opened that bottle of Veuve Cliquot,. He also says that knocking Leicester out of the Cup was a shame, and could ultimately have cost Spurs the League.

Are there really any sporting achievements that match Leicester's triumph in world sport? The only thing I can think of is the 1980 Lake Placid story of the USA hockey team beating USSR, but even that was a run of only a few games against ten months of dogged determination.

I'm off to put a fiver on Sunderland winning next year. Bet Ladbrokes won't be offering those odds again.....

He'd still be waiting.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

He'd still be waiting.

Come on, nobody expected Newcastle . To do them today did they?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Mouth wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

He'd still be waiting.

Spurs being Spursy is not that big a surprise. I have never seen a team lose it as badly as they did against Chelsea so we're always going to suffer a hangover. Newcastle have not been that bad under Benitez.
  • CiB
    Claudio put the mockers on Spurs when he said Leicester had to keep pushing as Spurs would certainly win all of their four remaining games, then they drew two and lost the next two. Brilliant.

Radio Leicester's commentator Ian Stringer said tonight that although the 'big teams' all failed to hit their potential, Leicester won it by being perfect, perfect in their play, team work, medical support, training and so on, and not just perfect for a few games but perfect for 10 months. And they were. 23 wins, 3 defeats. In the end it wasn't even close.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    "Unlucky" my arse
    They choked
    And no privileged, over hyped underachieving premiership bunch of pampered pricks can be called "unlucky"
    "Unlucky" is a 16 year old kid whose only skill is football getting a career ending injury

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Mouth wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

He'd still be waiting.

Spurs being Spursy is not that big a surprise. I have never seen a team lose it as badly as they did against Chelsea so we're always going to suffer a hangover. Newcastle have not been that bad under Benitez.

Like quite a few people,I reckon if Benitez had of had 5 more games they would of survived the drop

as for Spurs,the only team to come 3rd in what had being mainly a two horse race for some time