Pinning Numbers on Jerseys

2»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Imposter wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    PS- don't pin number on back of jersey before you pull it on. The jersey will stretch as it goes over your head. The number won't. Results in safety pins being pulled out of jersey and you going "Doh!"

I did this and went "Doh! Get some one to pin it on you afterwards.

Or alternatively, do pin the number on the jersey before putting it on (as most do) and allow for the stretch while pinning it...
    You put your legs in the arms of your jersey to stretch it out, then pin the number on.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I wouldn't worry too much but if you want to avoid holes does the top of the pocket have some kind of edging or stitching that you could use for the top pins - I do have a gabba but I can't remember exactly. Then it depends on the size of the number if you can reach the bottom of the jersey to do similar there - they've got kind of a drop tail on them haven't they so not sure.

As most others though I'd just pin it on the pockets - yeah I might try and minimise any damage as above but that's what you do in any race and a gabba is meant to be a wet weather race jersey after all - even if it leaves a tiny hole it's not going to be visible unless you search for it. Bikes, kit etc it's all just tools to help enjoy riding the bike it's meant to be used and use is going to wear things out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • So how do they put a gabba jersey together, is it not stitched? Unless all the seams are taped afterwards the material must be able to be penetrated by a needle without losing the water resistant properties?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    So how do they put a gabba jersey together, is it not stitched? Unless all the seams are taped afterwards the material must be able to be penetrated by a needle without losing the water resistant properties?

Yes - most of the time they are taped ... if they're not taped then you'll probably find that the seems are glued as well as stitched.

I've pinned my number on a summer jersey once a week for 2 seasons TT's .. I can see where I've pinned - I'd not pin to a waterproof jacket unless there was a pocket to pin to and even then not that often.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    My long sleeve Gabba has 3 rear pockets = number pinning not really an issue... but why is a sportive pretending to be a road race with rear facing numbers?????? bloody mamils, all gear , no idea
  • Pinning a number on a cycling jersey is a part of cycling, it's been going on for over a century. So what if it may out tiny holes in your jersey. FFS pin it on just like in a proper race and get out there and enjoy yourself.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    ben@31 wrote:
    I remember triathlons used a belt with tags that held the number. You just attached the number to the belt then tied the belt around your waist. Place the number on your back when on the bike and at the from when on the run.

Like this one ... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-race-belt-1/

Tri belts are great been using one for a few years now does the job perfectly plus an extra way to stash gels.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    nbalcombe wrote:
    I'm doing a sportive next weekend and they're requesting that you pin your number on your jersey. I was planning on wearing my Castelli Gabba if the weather's a bit iffy but don't really want to put pins through it. I have plenty of short-sleeved tops that I don't mind putting pins through but now I have no idea what to wear if it's a bit wet/chilly.

Any thoughts?

Is the Gabba softshell on the back too? I thought not, but may be wrong.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Tie it to your back hair and wear a translucent top.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Step83 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    I remember triathlons used a belt with tags that held the number. You just attached the number to the belt then tied the belt around your waist. Place the number on your back when on the bike and at the from when on the run.

Like this one ... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-race-belt-1/

Tri belts are great been using one for a few years now does the job perfectly plus an extra way to stash gels.

I would train with a tri belt first to see if you like it rather than just sticking one on for a sportive.

Personally I would find it an unnecessary annoyance, but each to their own.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Tie it to your back hair and wear a translucent top.
    :lol:
  • Taeo1
    Taeo1 Posts: 17
    Just pin it on, for the odd event it shouldn't matter...its when you race twice a week it ruins jerseys!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    apreading wrote:
    Worse is when they force you to stick a number on your frame (this is for a triathlon event) and they give you a handwritten number on one of those manky office stationary stickers that basically welds itself to your frame leaving bits of sticker and glue residue for years afterwards.

Could always have a patch of helicopter tape on the frame already - stick the event sticker to that and then peel off and replace ready for the next event. Might seem a bit extravagent but helicopter tape isnt that expensive really.

It's a bit late - I did the event about 4 years ago and still have the poxy mank left on my frame

You haven't tried very hard to get it off then... WD40, hairdryer, nail varnish remover or all of the above.... its not rocket science.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ravey1981 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Worse is when they force you to stick a number on your frame (this is for a triathlon event) and they give you a handwritten number on one of those manky office stationary stickers that basically welds itself to your frame leaving bits of sticker and glue residue for years afterwards.

Could always have a patch of helicopter tape on the frame already - stick the event sticker to that and then peel off and replace ready for the next event. Might seem a bit extravagent but helicopter tape isnt that expensive really.

It's a bit late - I did the event about 4 years ago and still have the poxy mank left on my frame

You haven't tried very hard to get it off then... WD40, hairdryer, nail varnish remover or all of the above.... its not rocket science.

rocket engineering...the science is the easy part...;)

I did do a sportive once where they asked you to pin the numbers to your jersey back, oddly they dropped it the next year and now the numbers fit to the bike handlebars instead, Im guessing because the poor photographer spent alot of time photographing people who got caught on a very popular bike route who were wondering what on earth was going on.

anyway I used a rather old fashioned solution of clothes pegs (bulldog office clips are an alternative) and just pegged the number off the rear pocket of my jersey as I was b******d if I was going to ruin the nice jersey Id picked for the ride with safety pins,and didnt care how "aero" it was or how stupid it might have looked like as it was on my back & I didnt have to look at it :)
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    ^classic.
    God forbid the sportive lot entered a real race.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Anywhoo

I have two thoughts on this... I was given some endura race snaps years ago - they are fantastic no pins and a wee bit of stretch

Also I think wearing a number at a sportive is vital... Because of my photographic memory I remember every fecker that passes me and then I look longingly at their awesome times in the post event leaderboard :-)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get a Tri number belt for 5 quid. Then you can always have it on show if you add/remove layers, no pinning damage etc.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Most will just pin it. If you want a solution to a first world problem, then you could look at getting some racedots.com

Or you could do it DIY with neodymium magnets of the right size - lots cheap on ebay. They're great as cadence sensor magnets too - just stick one on the inside of the pedal spindle - where it sticks out of the back of the crank.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,426
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Get a Tri number belt for 5 quid. Then you can always have it on show if you add/remove layers, no pinning damage etc.

even less! one quid.

https://www.triuk.com/products/tri-uk/t ... yHbMXErLRY

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Draw it on with a marker pen, no holes...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841

Perhaps permanent marker on the forehead? Nice and clear on the day and then everyone you meet over the next month or so will think you are an epic racer, or something like that. Either way you should get some clear space at the bar.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:

Perhaps permanent marker on the forehead? Nice and clear on the day and then everyone you meet over the next month or so will think you are an epic racer, or something like that. Either way you should get some clear space at the bar.

Clearly you have never tried wriiting 13 upside down on your forehead whilst looking in a mirror.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Don't do the sportive, frame your top and hang it up in the living room.

Last time I checked cycling was an outdoor sport where there may be a chance your clothes and equipment can sustain damage / deterioration.
  • nbalcombe
    nbalcombe Posts: 87
    I did the sportive yesterday and thought I'd give you all an update on my conundrum. After reading all the useful advice (and some not so useful) I had devised lots of cunning plans on how to secure the number to the back of my jacket without putting holes in it. The thing is I arrived at the sportive, it was cold, it was early and I thought feck it I'll just use the safety pins they provided.

It was fine, it was secured but I do now have some holes in the back of my expensive jacket. But things are looking up as someone earlier in this thread now owes me a chocolate bar. Wispa and Crunchie are my favourites please :)

Thanks for all the advice anyway.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why not pin it on your under jersey and not through the jacket ? Bit late for this now.

I'm constantly amazed in running races by :

1. The 0.5% who pin their numbers on the back and think that the other 99.5% are wrong.
    2. The people who pin their number through a jacket as it's cool at the start and then can't get out of the jacket on route.

I swear by the race belts. Much easier than messing with jerseys.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Fenix wrote:
    Why not pin it on your under jersey and not through the jacket ? Bit late for this now.

I'm constantly amazed in running races by :

1. The 0.5% who pin their numbers on the back and think that the other 99.5% are wrong.
    2. The people who pin their number through a jacket as it's cool at the start and then can't get out of the jacket on route.

I swear by the race belts. Much easier than messing with jerseys.

He wasn't racing, he was sportiving... so why on earth they needed rear facing numbers is a little beyond my comprehension.
    I cant go with the triathlump belt idea either. My aerobic system gets stressed enough without any constraints on the lower/mid body.
    I would never wear a jacket for racing.
    My Gabba for early season races has been pinned numerous times over the last 2 years, the pockets now fill up but luckily the extra holes let it out again... :roll:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If a thin piece of elastic is a hindrance you must avoid wearing jerseys too!? It's no worse.

A hrm belt is worse but you don't even notice you're wearing that after a bit