how to check pressure on presta valve?

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited May 2016 in MTB beginners
So I bought a digital pressure gauge from halfords but realised that the binzago has presta valve and can't read the pressure of the tyre. I wanna know the pressure of the tyre as I think they inflate it to the max and tyres are super hard.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    An adapter - presta to schrader, or get a decent track pump with a gauge.

Or the tried and trusted thumb method.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • core00
    cooldad wrote:
    An adapter - presta to schrader, or get a decent track pump with a gauge.

Or the tried and trusted thumb method.

Thanks cooldad :)
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Or see if they'll exchange it for a topeak d2, that said track pumps are soo handy for home use, nothing more sole destroying than pumping a big volume tyre with a mini pump, although I keep a mini pump on tth frame for emergency I. E. My co2 cartridge fails lol
  • core00
    mattyfez wrote:
    Or see if they'll exchange it for a topeak d2, that said track pumps are soo handy for home use, nothing more sole destroying than pumping a big volume tyre with a mini pump, although I keep a mini pump on tth frame for emergency I. E. My co2 cartridge fails lol

Yeah doubt they will exchange it now though, but see if they have adopter like cooldad mentioned surely its not expensive. Also yeah been checking track pumps I also have a basic mini pump but that's more for when I'm out (can't imagine pumping a 29er with mini pump).
    A lot of bike suppliers will pump up the tyres till there hard in the misguided preconception that you will use it on gravel track and roads. Get a track pump with dual ends and gauge, plus a decent mini pump with a dual head or interchangeable one. If using on trails centres it's experience that will normally tell you how much pressure, to hard you can lose traction to soft you will get pinch flats. Don't get the smallest mini pump either as it takes ages to blow up from flat, co2 can be good but I've seen a few tyres terminally over inflatted by mistake.

Yeah it was inflated to its maximum psi :lol: can you recommend any good track and mini pumps?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lezyne make nice stuff, but basic Beto work perfectly fine, especially their track pumps. I have three of those.

Although for mini pumps I have a Blackburn and a Lezyne Tech Drive - great on high volume tyres - be careful, they make high pressure for road tyres and high volume for MTB.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    core00 wrote:
    So I bought a digital pressure gauge from halfords but realised that the binzago has presta valve and can't read the pressure of the tyre. I wanna know the pressure of the tyre as I think they inflate it to the max and tyres are super hard.

Every cyclist *needs* to have a track pump with a pressure gauge. That'll tell you how pumped up they are and allow you to correct at the same time.
  • oxoman wrote:
    A lot of bike suppliers will pump up the tyres till there hard in the misguided preconception that you will use it on gravel track and roads.

Or to check for leaks and tyre damage. The customer can also then deflate it to their preferred pressure without a pump
  • Track pump at home, micro specislized pump for out & about...

Only had a couple of punctures whilst out and the micro pump served a purpose... Lost the will to get it to my usual pressure of around 35psi so settled for a squeeze and it'll do till I get home!

That's said, I've tried running around 28-30 following comments on a previous thread I started; can't say I like the extra drag but there's just a little more confidence in the grip offered.