What chain do I need?

PJ77
PJ77 Posts: 22
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Bit of advice needed....

Will be running an SLX double chainset and SRAM X9 rear mech with a shimano 10speed so 2x10 - looking at the KMC X10 but I see a few options? Silver/grey X10.93 - grey/grey X10.73 - X10SL?

What of the above would suit/work?

Thanks
Pete

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Any 10 speed chain will work.
  • PJ77
    112,114 or 116 links??

Thanks again!
    Pete
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    However many you need for your bike. You'll have to size it and 99% sure shorten it. I've never taken less than four links off so chances are all will be long enough.
    Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Go for the x10-93 kmc chain used many of these for last few years, very durable and last well if cleaned regularly.

Or if you like light weight go for the super light in gold for a bit of bike pimping.
  • PJ77
    Cheers I've gone for the X10.93!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    Go for the x10-93 kmc chain used many of these for last few years, very durable and last well if cleaned regularly.

Or if you like light weight go for the super light in gold for a bit of bike pimping.
    Not sure how using many in a few years adds up to durable?

OK you may ride a lot, or may barely ride at all, but I often get 2500miles from a chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure how using many in a few years adds up to durable?

OK you may ride a lot, or may barely ride at all, but I often get 2500miles from a chain.

This is on a few bikes I've had and ones put on friends bikes they have lasted well.