Fitting a Campag cassette

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Just been helping a friend who has less spannering skills than even me and while I've replaced many a Shimano cassette have never touched a Campag one.

For reasons we don't need to go into we were trying to refit the same Campag cassette on the same freehub and somehow the penultimate sprocket is totally flush with the freehub body so that the last one is free to rotate no matter what I seem to do when tightening up the lockring by hand initially. To all intents and purposes the same things are just being put back on, as far as I know all the bits are on correctly.

Is there anything obvious I may be doing wrong?? Is this just how it is? Thanks.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Did you put back teh same spacers and clean all the cogs?
  • munkster
    Yes. No...

Is cleaning likely to make *that* much difference you reckon? I'll instruct him to clean the cassette fully then either way.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    10 speed or 11? the 10 speeds have different spacers in different positions. I suppose you may have them in the wrong positions which could mess with the width?

centaursp.jpg

spca10c.jpg
  • The obvious first question is: Are all the individual rings in the cassette equidistant?

Take a look at http://branfordbike.com/articles/casset ... s-pg60.htm. I only have Shimano kit, so this is a guess based on the pictures, not actual experience (but therefore, absolutely typical advice on a forum :lol: ), but for a Record or Chorus cassette, if you used an "F" spacer instead of an "I" spacer, and vice-versa, the overall width of the assembled cassette would be too wide, since the "i" spacer sits inside the cogs, whereas the "F" spacer, being larger, would not, and the spacing would not be even.
  • munkster
    This spacer business looks the likely culprit I had no idea! Thanks I am pretty sure it all went back in the same order but perhaps not after all, will look into that.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The order plays no role in the total width......
  • munkster
    Do the ridges not affect it or anything?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The obvious first question is: Are all the individual rings in the cassette equidistant?

Take a look at http://branfordbike.com/articles/casset ... s-pg60.htm. I only have Shimano kit, so this is a guess based on the pictures, not actual experience (but therefore, absolutely typical advice on a forum :lol: ), but for a Record or Chorus cassette, if you used an "F" spacer instead of an "I" spacer, and vice-versa, the overall width of the assembled cassette would be too wide, since the "i" spacer sits inside the cogs, whereas the "F" spacer, being larger, would not, and the spacing would not be even.

Interestingly, most of me Centaur and Veloce cassettes don't match any of those images since they usually don't have joined largest sprockets. And where the largest are not joined, there is a specific narrow spacer between them (this because the largest sprocket flares back a litte which can be just seen in the illustration above). But I'm with Keezx on this. I think the wrong order just gives you incorrect spacing between sprockets but no overall change in width. The last sprocket only just engages with the freehub - so if you think that there are about 18 mating surfaces between sprockets and spacers before you get to the penultimate one, there only has to be a little dirt/grit in there for the penultimate not to engage.

Of course, anyone who can go to the trouble of removing a cassette and then not bother to clean it properly before refitting (if this is the cause of the issue...) deserves all the problems they get! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    I've re-fitted a number of Veloce cassettes over the last few years and they've always needed careful cleaning to ensure they fit properly and the lock ring can be tightened
  • munkster
    Of course, anyone who can go to the trouble of removing a cassette and then not bother to clean it properly before refitting (if this is the cause of the issue...) deserves all the problems they get! :wink:

A fair point, well made and totally deserved ;-)

In my defence it's not my cassette (thank goodness, I'll stick to SRAMano) and it wasn't that dirty but it's all pristine now and has gone back together sufficiently to catch the last sprocket on the splines.

Thanks all.