chain compatability?

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi folks. Could someone tell me if I can use a 7 speed chain on a 10 speed setup? I'm unfortunately unable to get access to any bike shops for about 1 week and I need a 10 speed chain. I just happen to have a new boxed 116 link 7 speed chain lying here.. :?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    turbo1191 wrote:
    Hi folks. Could someone tell me if I can use a 7 speed chain on a 10 speed setup? I'm unfortunately unable to get access to any bike shops for about 1 week and I need a 10 speed chain. I just happen to have a new boxed 116 link 7 speed chain lying here.. :?

Well in your position I don't think you've got any option but to suck it and see.

May be a problem with the narrower spacing of the cogs on a 10-speed cassette and the fact that the 7-speed chain will be a bit wider than a 10-speed.

Nothing to lose by trail and error (other than cutting a 7-speed chain to length if it doesn't work)

Not too helpful I'm afraid but I'm sure someone with first hand experience will be along to say yay or nay.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    What Arlowood said. But I'd be careful - a wider chain could rub on the cogs either side of the selected gear and cause damage to the cassette. And the shifting could be 'clunkier'!

The other thing would be to make sure a wider chain won't get jammed between cogs. These are just some of the things I'd look out for.

I've never tried it so can't be certain about any of the above points, but if you have no choice try it but be aware.

Good luck,
    Steve
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    Cheers guys- those were my worries. I'll gingerly try things out!