First bike purchase in 20 years

Un-decided
Un-decided Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
I’ve decided the time has finally come to replace my trusty 20(ish) year old mountain bike. It was a good bike in its day and has been very reliable but I’m finally ready to join the 21st century.

I have tested a few bikes recently and think that a hardtail with 27.5” wheels is going to be best for me. I also need it to be a bit of an 'all-rounder' that I can use for everything from commuting and cycle paths, to cross-country and trails.

I don’t want to spend too much at this stage and have been looking at the 2014 Boardman Team HT 650b. It's already on offer in Halfords and I can get a further discount so the final price should be around £520. This looks like a good deal although I had originally thought I wanted to stick with Shimano components. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/boardman-end-of-season/boardman-mountain-bike-team-ht-650b-2014

I’m also very open to buying second-hand, particularly as I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. One second-hand bike that caught my eye is a 2015 GT Avalanche Expert. It looks in good condition and would cost around half the price of the Boardman. http://www.gtbicycles.com/int_en/2015/bikes/mountain/trail-hardtail/avalanche-expert.

I’ll go and see the GT over the weekend and will then decide whether to go for that or the Boardman - but I would welcome any views on which bike might be the better ‘all-rounder’ and the better purchase?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Boardman is a good bike at the lower price, it was never really sold at the claimed higher price and wouldn't have been good value.

The GT Is ok but ideally for that priced used you would want air forks and should be able to find a bike with some.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.