Planning a cycling holiday

KMC1993
KMC1993 Posts: 101
edited May 2016 in Road general
I'm currently looking into planning a cycling holiday in December this year. There will probably be around 8 of us going.

In terms of location the current thinking is Tenerife would be a good shout, what is the general feeling about cycling there? I know the pros train there.
The next thing to think about is whether to go for a hotel or rent a Villa, does anyone have any recommendations? Also do hotels make bike storage a problem?

Ideally the location will be close to Teide.

Anyone with any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I'm biased of course, but Majorca is still an excellent place to ride in December. Last year, it was 18 - 20'C and sunny most days.

Tenerife is more reliable and warmer that time of year, but also more expensive to get to, and can get very windy.

Majorca has a huge choice of hotels and villas.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Gran Canaria is a great place to go, great roads and the best drivers I've ever come across, obviously with the exception of any brits in hire cars.
    Freemotion second to none for hire bikes, think they are in Tenerife now as well.
    Stay in or around Maspolomas Playa de Ingles area.
    Flights are cheap at the moment but may be worth booking hotels at a later date, we stayed in Jardin Dorado last year, first week of Dec, think it was £270 all inclusive.
    Will be packed with pro teams, seen Tinkoff for the last two years.
  • I'd second Gran Canaria
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I third Gran Canaria and Freemotion cycles, Maspalomas etc
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Tenerife - great for Teide but not much else IMO. Mallorca absolutely streets ahead.

Not been, but in December Gran Canaria sounds like it could be a good option, have read good things about it.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Totally agree Majorca is a better place to cycle, but the OP said he wants to go in December. If I'm spending my hard earned money I pretty much want guaranteed weather and at that time of year your far more likely to get it In Gran Canaria. The only problem is there are no easy days in GC.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I did a couple of rides in Tenerife this February. The ride up to Teide I did was great:

https://www.strava.com/activities/497192188

There are a few other routes up, but it is true that if you want to do a long ride you either need to Teide or round the coast. The other day I didn't have long so I drove up the coast to do the Masca climb which is a pretty awesome road of steep switchbacks.

The riding there is tough - I was based near la Tejita beach and that stretch of coast is incredibly windy, top of Teide can also be very windy. The long ride was one of the toughest I have done as there was barely a minute without either a gradient or strong head / side wind. The descent was hampered by freezing fog! Really enjoyed it though.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    went to Tenerife in march 3 years ago. couldn't get near the top of Teide for a few days as the snow gates were closed. snow melted and gates opened on our last day of riding.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails