Perfect bike under 600£

Shilelis
Shilelis Posts: 9
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I am from Lithuania and I am searching for a good MTB bike. I used to have a Scott aspect 30 (2008 year model) and I was satisfied with it. Since I got taller (178cm now) I had to sell it. Currently I am looking at used bikes (skelbiu.lt they offer wide wariety of used bikes). What is your opinion about used and new bikes? Maybe it is better to buy used one for lower price ~350£ with same specs as a new 600£? If we are talking about new bikes, I do believe it would be better to buy it from abroad (e.g. Focus is made in Germany and it wouldn't be a problem to ship it). Mostly I cycle in the city and in the forest paths about ~30-40km in total every day. What do you think?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you have Decathlon stores, the bikes are very good.

That said I would look used for a sub E400 bike used that needs a little work, bikes that need some work often sell for a bigger reduction than the cost of the parts that need replacing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • In Lithuania (in Vilnius city) we have one shop with Trek, Giant, Cannondale, another with Scott, Cube, one with Focus, and some with cheap no names :) and for 600£ those bikes dont have shinano deore parts.
  • The Rookie
    Decathlon do mail order

http://www.decathlon.lt/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • But I did not find their frame geometry, only size numbers. I am 199cm (in your language 6'8"), so its make blind buy of bike.
  • Shilelis
    What about well known firms such as Trekk, Scott, Giant, Cube? Maybe they offer more reliable bikes with better complectation?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you two the same person - it's a bit confusing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Shilelis
    We are different people but I can see that he is from the same country as I am.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just easier if people start their own threads or it gets confusing as to who is who.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Shilelis
    I agree with you. Just lets finish this off-topic. I still can't decide.. Too many bikes to choose from
  • The Rookie
    At this price point the big name brands usually offer rubbish value, should be avoided.