Buying a second hand bike.

traversalan15
traversalan15 Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Im interested in this bike but have no idea of it's worth if will be any good, the seller hasn't much information posted about it. The link to the bike is below. Any help would be great.
Cheers.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sa ... e/11984850

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Low end MTB, cable disc brakes, fork doesn't appear to have a lockout lever which means its definitely undamped (if it does it may still be undamped of course).

I wouldn't even consider it for proper MTBing. For light gravel track use and on road it would be OK.
    Not sure if it's a Carrera but looks very like the Carrera frame (could be other Merida made brand), so it's a low end one, probably about £250-275 new.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Looks like a Carrera Hellcat http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

Seems just about OK for the money, if in pristine condition, but nothing special - the component parts arent the best. I would personally look for something better but if you can haggle the price down and bit and its in good working order then its not too bad.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On what planet is it OK to spend more on a second hand bike than the price new?

The original RRP was just a Halfords wet dream.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The used price is in Euros so about £230, and is before haggling, and the price in GBP on Halfords website was the even bigger than normal discount after it was discontinued, to clear stock.

So the second hand bike is probably less than it actually cost new, even with the more normal Halfords discounting. And the normal Halfords discounted prices are usually really good value in the first place.

If would have to be 'as new' to be even remotely worth it though. I would rather buy a Vulcan new from the shop.