FSA Crank swap?

reefer110
reefer110 Posts: 19
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I want to swap out my FSA Tempo crank to a Shimano type, this BB is currently fitted, which I think is referred to as square tapered?

Will a Shimano type fit onto this, or do I need a new BB as well?

IMG_4250.jpg

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    What are you replacing it with?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• reefer110
    Ideally this, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-bb-r60- ... owtech-ii/

I had a mishap with the FSA chainset, rest of the bike groupset is shimano sora.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Im confused. You ask if you can keep the existing BB but then say you are changing the BB to a hollow tech.
  • reefer110
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Im confused. You ask if you can keep the existing BB but then say you are changing the BB to a hollow tech.

"Will a Shimano type fit onto this, or do I need a new BB as well?"
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    Yes, Shimano hollowtech needs a different bottom bracket ~ the one you have linked to is fine. That is assuming that the Shimano crank you are hoping to replace your existing one with is a hollowtech one . If you have a pic of the one you want to use, I'm sure someone can confirm that it is.

The only other thing to watch out for is the threading on your bottom bracket shell, as you need to know if its English(BSA) or Itallian in order to get the right bottom bracket. Most are BSA, to be honest, and I'm not even sure if FSA do any Italian threaded stuff suggesting that yours will be too, but its worth checking for piece of mind.
  • reefer110
    Thanks for that, I've ordered the tool to remove the FSA bb, I'll then check the threading before I order.

I'm undecided on the chainset, I really don't need ultegra or dura-ace. Any pointers as to what offers the best value for money?
  • jjsh
    It depends on what the rest of your groupset is at the moment, weather or not your are planning to gradually upgrade it all, how much 'bling' you want, and stuff like that. Sorry to answer a question with more questions!
  • reefer110
    It's mostly sora, although the brakes are tektro. sram pg930 cassette and kmc z99 chain. I'm happy to upgrade but I'm pretty sure my ability doesn't warrant £300 on a chainset.
  • reefer110
    If it helps here's a link to the bike, it's the sora version - http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/bikes/point ... mano-sora8
  • jjsh
    Personally, I'd go for a Sora crankset then, you won't feel any improvement with something more fancy IMHO ~ these should come out at about £55 brand new, plus £11 for your BB and your done (you'll need to either buy or borrow a hollowtech BB tool, as its different to the one you have ordered to remove your FSA one, but they can be had for £15 or so). Looking at that frame, it will almost certainly be a BSA bottom bracket shell, by the way.Hope that helps.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3518&g=781386&p=300917&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Road%20Chainsets%20&%20Cranks&gclid=CKSsrpmps8wCFeUV0wod5LgBZQ
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Any particular reason you want to swap front rings or are you just doing it for the hell of it and have money burning holes in yer pockets? There won't be much difference in performance between the Sora and FSA front rings. Just cosmetic. I've same set on my Giant. When I upgrade I'll go 105 throughout to get the extra 2 gears on the back to keep the spacing between a little smaller.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• reefer110
    I've seen a 105 set for about, £65. Don't mind paying that. I gather the 105 is a 10 speed, Vs the 9 speed of the Sora. Having read up a little it would seem I'll be ok with that as long as a 9spd chain is used?
    JJSH wrote:
    Personally, I'd go for a Sora crankset then, you won't feel any improvement with something more fancy IMHO ~ these should come out at about £55 brand new, plus £11 for your BB and your done (you'll need to either buy or borrow a hollowtech BB tool, as its different to the one you have ordered to remove your FSA one, but they can be had for £15 or so). Looking at that frame, it will almost certainly be a BSA bottom bracket shell, by the way.Hope that helps.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3518&g=781386&p=300917&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Road%20Chainsets%20&%20Cranks&gclid=CKSsrpmps8wCFeUV0wod5LgBZQ
  • reefer110
    Rather stupidly I damaged the old crankarm by poorly fitting a pedal, hence the change. I gather I could get it re-threaded, but I'm not sure I'd trust it long term.
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Any particular reason you want to swap front rings or are you just doing it for the hell of it and have money burning holes in yer pockets? There won't be much difference in performance between the Sora and FSA front rings. Just cosmetic. I've same set on my Giant. When I upgrade I'll go 105 throughout to get the extra 2 gears on the back to keep the spacing between a little smaller.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    reefer110 wrote:
    I've seen a 105 set for about, £65. Don't mind paying that. I gather the 105 is a 10 speed, Vs the 9 speed of the Sora. Having read up a little it would seem I'll be ok with that as long as a 9spd chain is used?

Correct. You can use a nominally 10 speed chainset on an otherwise 9 speed bike (shifters, cassette, chain).

I have a 9 speed Tiagra and a 10 speed 105 bike, and 3 different chainsets which I have swapped around at various times with no issues. The Hollowtech 2 system makes swapping a chainset a 5 minute job. The bigger faff is adjusting the front mech to suit the outer chainring.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Square taper bottom brackets are way more reliable than hollowtech and would save you the cost of tools and new bottom bracket. Can you not get twin chainring square taper cranks any more? If you could do a like for like swap that would be easiest and cheapest.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There are loads of square taper cranksets still available. Spa Cycles is a good place to start.

But the OP said he wanted to fit a Shimano HTII bottom bracket...