Scott spark warranty problems

Markaoverton
Markaoverton Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I was riding around kielder lake , climing uphill and the rear derailleur snapped off !
Resulting in it needing a new chain stay,hanger,rear mech,cabling and other bits to the coast of £295
The bike is 22 months old ,serviced since new with the dealer and I've never dropped or damaged it , even though Scott have a 5 year warranty the are offering only to replace on a crash replacement basis ......just not good enough

Been in touch with Scott themselves and received very poor feed back

Has anyone had similar issues ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What actually snapped off? Chainstay? Hanger? Mech?

Normally the hanger goes - that's what it's there for. And uphill would normally be a shift under load.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Sounds reasonable to me, not sure it could be classed as a manufacturing defect after 22 months, could have been knocked at some point, sometimes shit happens....it is a mountain bike after all. I wouldn't expect a warranty claim
  • The hanger and part of the frame !
    I can only presume the hanger was either too strong or the frame too weak
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    So has the frame actually snapped?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are many reasons why this could happen, most of them wouldn't be covered by warranty even if the bike was within warranty.

Scott have a 5 year warranty on the frame (not the rest of the components), failure of another part that damages the frame is clearly NOT covered and it would be really dumb to suggest it did, so unless you can show that the first failure was the frame (incredibly unlikely it was, even less likely you have a chance of proving it) then it's not at all a warranty issue at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.