Tyre reccomendations for trails and cross country?

PJ77
PJ77 Posts: 22
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
need to buy a pair of tyres for my 650B Hardtail, mainly dusty tracks and woods ill be riding on, was looking at Continentals range? £30-40 for the pair ideally,,,,

Cheers
Pete

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Sounds like a job for Bontrager XR1, 2 or 3 depending on how fast rolling you want your tyres and what the potential for mud will be. Been using the XR1 on my hardtail over winter and surprised how it has coped as its meant to be a fast rolling dry weather tyre for hard pack, dust and dry woodland.

The casing sizes are also generous so the size up accurately. Should be able to a decent width for the wheel size. If you want a slightly more aggressive combination then an XR3 up front and XR2 on the rear would work very well.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £30-40 for a PAIR is not going to get you great tyres, you'll almost certainly end up with wire bead and not a great compound at normal prices. Not sure where BF thinks you'll get XR2/3 at £15-20 each from.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYGEBAMO/g ... lding-tyre
    Probably the best you'll get at that price point.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X2 ... 6x225-tyre
    For heavier duty use, though it sounds like you don't need that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Non Black Chilli Conti's are pretty rubbish though, also the 2.4 MK's come up very big so may not fit the frame, still over budget as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Geax Barro linked to are 26er
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    Non Black Chilli Conti's are pretty rubbish though, also the 2.4 MK's come up very big so may not fit the frame, still over budget as well.

where are the non-BC conti's?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The Rookie wrote:

Kings in ProTection guise are black chilli, also they're not "massive" ideally you'd only use a 2.4 on the front and theres tons of room.

I have a 2.4 on my hardtail which has 26" Rev forks, clearance really isnt an issue (nor would it be on the back).

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/mtb/mountain-king-ii-2-4

For £24 they are a bargain
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you could use some x-kings on the bike, I've one on the rear and find it great for dry hardpack stuff not sure it would be any good on the front where you might be better with a mountain king on there.

think you might need to up your budget by 20 if you want some decent tyres.

What about some racing ralphs or rocket rons?
  • PJ77
    PJ77 Posts: 22
    Cheers for the feedback, so if I go to £50ish, and the mountain King, are you saying the same font and back? And 2.2 or 2.4, I have no idea, guess it's worth paying a little more.

Pete
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    get the 2.4s, the 2.2 are quite narrow
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    The Rookie wrote:
    £30-40 for a PAIR is not going to get you great tyres, you'll almost certainly end up with wire bead and not a great compound at normal prices. Not sure where BF thinks you'll get XR2/3 at £15-20 each from.
    I pay £10 a pop for Team Issue's. I'm probably a bit out of the loop with the actual pricing of them.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL