Charity bike ride sponsorship wanted

Holdey
Holdey Posts: 38
edited May 2016 in Road general
:x hi all I. Looking for sponsorship for a charity bike ride from Cardiff UK to Paris France about 300 miles for shelter cymru. If anyone can donate thanks in advance

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NealPlace

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have fun on your birthday jolly :wink:
    Enjoy the Rugby and beer when you get there.

I just gave Shelter Cymru a fiver via their page.
    How much are you donating to the cause?
  • Holdey
    Thanks for the donation. I am attempting to raise £1500 for shelter cymru.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Ask the Welsh Assembly. They will definitely contribute.
  • Holdey wrote:
    :x hi all I. Looking for sponsorship for a charity bike ride from Cardiff UK to Paris France about 300 miles for shelter cymru. If anyone can donate thanks in advance

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NealPlace

According to google earth, cardiff to paris is over 400 miles. About 470 miles if you use the chunnel. Where abouts are you crossing?
  • Holdey
    The route I think is Cardiff to bath. Bath to Southampton. Ferry then down the seine to Paris.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think it's more usual to ask friends and family rather than strangers for a kick off ? Good luck with it though.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    De Sisti wrote:

It might be better to ask the Welsh government
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Holdey wrote:
    The route I think is Cardiff to bath. Bath to Southampton. Ferry then down the seine to Paris.

the only ferries from Southampton go to the isle of Wight
  • Anonymous
    De Sisti wrote:

It might be better to ask the Welsh government

Or Elmo
  • fenix
    Is that not near Paris then ? ;-)
  • Holdey
    To le harve might be Portsmouth then. The route hasn't been finalised yet I've been told
  • fenix
    So you're asking for sponsorship but you don't know the route yet ?

You'd have more luck if you'd nailed all that down and can write up an awesome description of the ordeal that lies ahead.#
    As it is - it reads more like a jolly.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    maybe a few lines about why Shelter Cwymru is a great charity and add a personal twist for why it means so much to you
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fenix wrote:
    So you're asking for sponsorship but you don't know the route yet ?

You'd have more luck if you'd nailed all that down and can write up an awesome description of the ordeal that lies ahead.#
    As it is - it reads more like a jolly.

Not sure why you say that? After all, cycling with a load of mates over to Paris for a congratulatory big piff up, before watching the rugby sounds like an epic adventure and one that we should all dig deep to fund...oh, maybe I see what you mean...
  • Holdey
    The route is from Cardiff principality stadium to stadium in Paris. The logistics are still being worked out. Sorry all if you feel I'm lying or something. Just wanted to do a bit first charity.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    You want people you have never met before to donate money.
    You only joined the forum two weeks ago.
    You have had donations totalling £0 so far.
    Even your closest friends and family have declined the opportunity to donate.
    The ride isn't until March 2017.
    How much of the money raised is going to "charity" and how much will be "expenses".
    You have told us exactly zero about the charity and why it is so dear to heart and so important for people to donate.
    You do tell us it coincides with your 50th Birthday and will be:
    "a great celebration and hopefully watch Wales win the grand slam"
    Good luck with all of the above.
    I hope you understand why I will decline the opportunity to donate on this occasion.
  • Holdey
    Look if you don't want to donate that's your choice. If you don't believe that I'm doing it for charity that's your choice. Just don't keep critising what I'm doing. Just stay quite unless you have something constructive to say.
    Thanks holdey
  • Holdey
    By the way all the money goes straight to the charity. No expenses at all. It automatically goes through the website.
    Thanks anyway.
  • Holdey wrote:
    Look if you don't want to donate that's your choice. If you don't believe that I'm doing it for charity that's your choice. Just don't keep critising what I'm doing. Just stay quite unless you have something constructive to say.
    Thanks holdey

I think the above comments are very constructive. I think you should take them on board, then wheel and come again.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I think twice about asking family members if they would like to donate to my charity of choice, and I did it once. I won't ride for charity again as I think its unfair asking the same people to donate again.

I certainly wouldn't dream of asking complete strangers to donate, bl**dy cheek!

At the very least, you need to make a compelling case as to why the people you're asking should donate to your charity rather some other and inspire them to support your cause.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Holdey - the problem is - you're a newbie here - nobody knows you - so we're not "friends" yet ...

you're doing a ride - albeit a reasonable distance - but no indication as to what that consists of - even if split in 1/2 - 150 miles 2 days on the trot isn't beyond comprehension for many rider on here - so it's not really a challenge - not unless you give us some indication as to how it's going to be a challenge - are you riding it on a bmx? is it self supported? do you have some ailment that makes it hard for you to put in the effort required?

I have no doubt that the charity is a deserving cause - there are many that are - but what does this one mean to you? Is the money you're raising going to general funds or is there a specific project that you're aiming to help?

I really have no issue with you asking for donations to charity - but the way you've put it is "I'm off for a jolly on my bike, please send money to this charity"

Slightly off topic - I do think that sporting events with charity donations need to be performance related - it's not enough anymore to say "I'm riding for X to Y please donate" - unless it's some sort of superhuman effort - it needs to have a target - one that could be missed eg overall speed, timegates, kit rations etc etc.
  • darkhairedlord
    Holdey wrote:
    Thanks holdey

Ageing rugby player, anger issues, steroids?
  • Anonymous
    Holdey wrote:
    By the way all the money goes straight to the charity. No expenses at all. It automatically goes through the website.

Are you sure about that?

Who pays for all the support you will get?
    Ferry crossing, food, transport, accommodation etc. etc.
    Guessing it comes out of the £1500 that you have to raise.

Sounds like you are getting a free jolly if you raise the £1500.
    Basically you seem to be asking other people (strangers) to pay for it.

You may genuinely not have understood this, but now you do I hope you can understand the backlash.

What are you going to do if you fall short of the required amount?
    Make it up yourself or pull out?

If you give a monkeys about the charity, you should find out what the cost of support is (guessing about £500?) and pay that straight in yourself to kick off the fundraising :wink:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Carbonator wrote:
    Holdey wrote:

Are you sure about that?
    Depends on who is organising the "event" doesn't it?

if it's a bunch of mates getting together to do the ride and the charity is just a tag on then through Virgin money it all goes to the charity ...
    If the charity are organising it and asking participating riders to raise a sum then yes - there could be some expense to the charity - and it could appear that a participant is getting a free/subsidised jolly out of it ..

Having ridden to Paris - not quite the 300 miles - totally self supported - it's a nice ride - and totally doable self supported, can't remember what it cost us now - we did it over the August bank holiday a couple of years ago, Newhaven -> Dieppe overnight ferry, a B&B 1/2way (taking it easy - very nice B&B too) and then a couple of nights in a central hotel in Paris followed by Eurostar back to London, train to the nearest station home and a short hop home from there - so prob about £300pp at a guess ... so not cheap. No we didn't ride it for charity - it was just a short getaway and I'd never taken the wife to Paris ... I suppose technically I still haven't as she had to propel herself there! :o
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    OP, have you bought a bike for the ride yet? If so, post a few pics.
  • Holdey
    Okay sorry all just ignore this post. How can I delete this. I'm new to all this. New to cycling and just thought I was doing something good for charity that I thought was a hard journey for me sorry all.
    I won't post again.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I too would love to do one of these long distance charity rides as I guess would a lot of people. But and its big but if I ask friends, family or colleagues to sponsor me. It will be " what give you money to ride your bike a long way, you do that all the time anyway" " you are having a laugh"
    Offer to do it barefoot and you might get a few donations.
  • Holdey
    I've ordered a giant defy 2 and I have paid £200 to register for the ride. Sorry all again.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't go. By the time you're doing the ride you might be part of the community and people may like to donate.

It's a bit like a pub. A stranger comes in and says nothing but asks for money. He'll get short shrift.

Nowl if it's one of the regulars who we've spoken to and heard about their exploits then it's far more likely that you'd slip them a fiver or so.

Stay and settle in. Chances are you'll need the help you can get on here.
  • darkhairedlord
    I'll give you fiver if you ride to Paris and see Wales win the grand slam.