Travelling with Bike Box Alan

phil485
phil485 Posts: 364
edited April 2016 in Road general
So, just picked up my bike box and 2 simple ish questions.

Should I inform the airline or just treat it as my hold luggage allowance, after all it is just a large hard shell case?

Di2 battery is wedged in my seat post. Take it out or as its installed leave it in the box??

any answers gratefully received.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    airlines usually have a size limit for hold baggage, which a bba will exceed

when i fly with mine i always book it as sports equipment/cycle, depending on the airline this can be free, reasonable, or extortionate

check rules for your airline before flying, add it as an extra when booking, leaving it until check-in is likely to cost more - you are trapped at that point

leave battery in place, but disconnect wires/whatever in case a shifter gets pushed in transit
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    B.A I took it as hold luggage and then had the rest of my stuff in the mrs' suitcase. Remember if you do that it has to be under 22kg so I couldnt put much else in the box.

If its any other airline I would pay in advance otherwise you will get charged more on the day
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    Aye book it as sports luggage - If anything happens to it in transit you can guarantee they'll use any excuse to wiggle out of a claim.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I was looking into this before a summer trip.

Whilst BA say that they'll take a boxed bicycle as your article of hold luggage, as sungod says, they have size restrictions on this and a BikeBoxAlan exceeds it. According to their guidelines you have to take it check it as cargo which undoubtedly costs a fortune. EasyJet don't have any size restrictions but you have to book it as an additional "Sports Goods" item on top of your ticket at £35 per flight. Other airlines vary so check their policies carefully before booking!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Easyjet did not seem too bothered by excess weight, but mate got stung by BA for being too heavy (even though his bike was v light 8) )!
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Guess I got lucky with BA then as I had no problems
  • bikeav8or
    bikeav8or Posts: 77
    You'll be fine with BA it counts as one of your hold items

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/inf ... nstruments
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    bikeav8or wrote:
    You'll be fine with BA it counts as one of your hold items

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/inf ... nstruments

Jeez, did you even bother to read the previous posts?! The British Airways page that you linked to clearly states:

"We can only accept sporting equipment if it is packed appropriately (to avoid damage) and meets the given size and weight restrictions."

If you look at the restrictions, they state:

- A checked bag can be up to 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16in) – including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels.

- Larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried for an additional over-sized bag charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.)

- Any items larger than 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) require separate shipping as cargo.

The dimensions of a BikeBoxAlan are:

Max height 92cm, Min height 75cm, Max thickness 32cm, min thickness 32cm, Length 113cm

Therefore a BikeBoxAlan should be shipped as "Cargo" under the BA T&Cs, incurring an additional (unspecified) charge. Whether that actually happens at the airport is another matter, but that's what their regulations say.