New Transition Patrol

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited May 2016 in Your mountain bikes
I don't actually really come on here anymore but it seems the best place to do these bike threads. Been umming and arring over a new frame for a while now and finally picked the Patrol. The frame turned up just a few minutes ago. Most other bits are being delivered later except for rims which I still haven't ordered.

p5pb13408471.jpg

I've not even started building and already I've ran into problems. I forgot the seat tube is interrupted which means I actually need a dropper post. There's only 8 inches of insertion which wouldn't leave me with enough drop at minimum insertion. I was hoping to wait a little longer to see how the 9 Point 8's are faring but needs must so just placed my order for that. Bit expensive but hopefully it will actually last unlike the KS' or Thomson's I've had in the past. The guy I spoke to at Shore Lines was very friendly and was hopeful, if a little shocked to hear I had broken a few of the others, the 9 Point 8 should be better.

First job will be to tape the frame up when I get home from the shop tonight. Then next week the build will commence assuming I have sourced the rims I want.

p5pb13408502.jpg

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    friday was a good day for getting frames :D
  • peter413
    Just ordered my new rims. That should be everything that's needed so, assuming the rims arrive at the shop tomorrow, the build will commence tomorrow. Might even get it finished tomorrow depending how long it takes to build the wheels and if many customers come in.
  • lee170
    lee170 Posts: 236
    That's a nice looking frame, looking forward to seeing the end product
    2015 orange crush
    2015 cannondale super six evo
  • poah
    what wheels you putting on it? The bike loves speed, I felt confident on it as soon as I rode it. Not sure of the shock though, at their recommended 35% sag it goes through travel very quickly so needs more spacers.
  • peter413
    Rims didn't arrive yesterday :cry: Really hoping they arrive today. Pretty ordinary wheelset really. DT EX 471 rims, Pro 4 Hubs and Sapim D-Light spokes. I've had the hubs and spokes for nearly a week now! Getting really itchy to get the build underway now.

p5pb13423558.jpg

Yeah, I can't see myself running that much sag. I always seem to use 5-10% less sag than manufacturers recommend. I'll give it a try anyway though.

I also got a chance to weigh the frame. 8lbs exactly with the Monarch Plus, axle and some heli tape:

p5pb13423559.jpg
  • poah
    I'd probably have just bought the new 30mm wide 1501ex wheel set
  • peter413
    POAH wrote:
    I'd probably have just bought the new 30mm wide 1501ex wheel set

These will turn out cheaper. And I assume being 30mm wide they will be the XM 481 rims. The EX 471's should be a little stronger which is why I chose them.
  • poah
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-Whee ... ine-ONE-30

stonger than the previous 25mm version. Don't make them in 26 now either :( I think you can still get the old rims though for the time being. I looked at getting the same wheels you have but in 26 size but thought the complete wheel would be nicer. eventually I didn't bother due to cash contraints (new frame ha ha ha ha).
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Definitely going to watch this. as I'm looking to order the same frame!!
  • peter413
    Rims finally arrived yesterday evening. Got the front built up last night and the rear this morning:

p5pb13431394.jpg

Ignore the silver valve on the rear wheel. Still got a tube in it setting the tape. The actual rims were fine to build but those PHR washers were a bit of a pain.

Not too bad a weight, 1862g for the pair. Actually a little less than that because I forgot to weigh the rear wheel before I fitted the tape.

p5pb13431392.jpg

p5pb13431393.jpg

Now onto actually building the bike :mrgreen:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    nice what hubs you using hope pro 4?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That's a very nice frame. The latest Transitions are really great bikes, not the best value but I think worth the extra.
    I'd love to get a Patrol as a second bike to go with the Scout and build it up strong.
  • poah
    You'd have to change the shock, its not a patch on the inline.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd fit a Cane Creek DB coil CS with a ti spring. Not light I know but I think it would ride awesome.
    Definitely a Lyrik or Fox 36 up front.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    think a Cane Creek double barrel air is going to be my last upgrade on my patrol
  • poah
    Think I'm going to go with an DHX2 and SLS spring on my suppressor
  • peter413
    Ok so I've really slacked off with getting this finished. Had a few problems getting some bits together and then I've been really ill the last few days so only got it finished earlier today. Obviously no first ride report yet. The shock could be interesting. The last Monarch I used was the stock one from my Mega and my RP23 from 2008 was infinitely better than that. I would hope they could get it right by now. If it turns out awful I'll get a Float X2 to replace it in the future.

Bit of a dodgy pic:

p5pb13442231.jpg

I'll get it weighed and some better pics when I'm next at the shop.

Full specs for those interested:

Frame: Large Transition Patrol
    Forks: 160mm Rockshox Lyrik with Stealth Maxle
    Bars: 785mm Raceface Sixc
    Stem: 40mm Truvativ Holzfeller
    Headset: Hope
    Grips: ESI Chunky

Front Brake: Shimano M9020 Trail Lever with Saint M820 Caliper
    Front disc: 180mm Ashima Airotor
    Rear Brake: Shimano M9020 Trail
    Rear Disc: 180mm Ashima Airotor

Shifter: Shimano XTR 11 Speed
    Cables: Shimano SP41/XTR
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT 11 Speed
    Bash Guard: Blackspire Bruiser

Seat: SDG Circuit MTN Ti
    Seat Post: 9point8 Fall Line
    Seat Post Clamp: Fun Works

Crank: 170mm Raceface Aeffect
    Chainring: 30t Blackspire Snaggletooth Cinch
    Chain: KMC X11 93
    Cassette: 11-42t Shimano XT 11 Speed
    Pedals: DMR Vault or Shimano DX SPD's
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR

Front Wheel:
    Rim: DT Swiss EX 471
    Spokes: Sapim D-Light
    Hub: Hope Pro 4
    Tyre: Specialized Butcher Control or Maxis Shorty

Back Wheel:
    Rim: DT Swiss EX 471
    Spokes: Sapim D-Light
    Hub: Hope Pro 4
    Tyre:Specialized Butcher Control
  • poah
    I recon it will be around 31lb

the tune on the monarch doesn't seem well suited to the bike at least for my weight and riding
  • peter413
    Got into the shop yesterday and got a few pictures. Weight came in at 31lbs 4oz (31.25 lbs). Weighs a bit more with SPD's.

p5pb13455253.jpg

p5pb13455255.jpg

p5pb13455258.jpg

p5pb13455259.jpg

p5pb13455260.jpg

p5pb13455262.jpg

p5pb13455263.jpg

p5pb13455261.jpg

Got one or two little changes lined up but nothing big.
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Lovely build mate. Really like that. Look forward to hearing your thoughts after a ride!!
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • peter413
    First half ride was today. So far so good. Need to let a little pressure out of the suspension and possibly add another token to the Lyrik (two are installed already). Need to let the fork properly bed in but it doesn't quite have the small bump compliance I'm looking for but it's already using the travel I would expect it too which is why I'm looking at adding another token. I'll give it a few good rides to bed in before that though.

Got a creak coming from somewhere. The large bolt at the bottom was ever so slightly loose so I'm hoping that will cure that. Sizing is totally different to what I'm used to. The reach is fairly similar to the Mega but the wheelbase is so much longer. Going to take a little getting used to but I can tell I'm going to like it.

I only did a couple of trails as I'm still not feeling great. One was fairly steep with big berms and the other was fairly flat with flat corners and roots. Handled both very nicely. Climbs nicely and carries speed really well. Tried a few jumps too. Nearly went over the bars on the first few because I had the rebound too fast but after that was sorted it was very comfortable. Shock tune actually seems ok. Supportive and supple. Rebound is maybe a little off as I am hardly using any. I started at 2 clicks and am now at 4 clicks. Might end up going back to 3 clicks.

Mandatory first ride pic:

p5pb13461602.jpg