New groupset time, but what ratios..?

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited April 2016 in Road general
Afternoon all, i will be looking to buy a new groupset in the near future, probably Ultegra, but i am unsure of what gearing to go for, using 172.5mm cranks

Current bike has 11 speed 105 with 34/50 chainrings and a 11-28 cassette.

With the 6800 ultegra there are a few options:
34/50 11-28
34/50 11-32
36/52 11-28
36/52 11-36

Now i have never not got up a hill on the 34-28 combo so i dont think i need a 32 cassette, and i dont go fast enough to need a 52 front ring.

So was considering buying the 34/50 11-28 and an additional front 36t ring to make it 36/50 11-28 as that gives the closest to a 72 inch gear (73.1)

I have been on the Sheldon Brown gear inch calculator and the lowest gear would be 1.9 inches more than with a 34 front ring
how noticeable is this likely to be?

Cheers, Dan
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    52/36 + 11/28 - it's the way to go!
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    This is a great tool to compare your set ups:

http://www.gear-calculator.com/
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Everyone has their own views on gearing. My own preference as a reasonable club cyclist (but non-racer) is that 52/36 suits me best in Yorkshire - so reasonably hilly terrain. 11-28 on hilly rides, 11-25 on flatter ones.........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Fudgey wrote:
    Afternoon all, i will be looking to buy a new groupset in the near future, probably Ultegra, but i am unsure of what gearing to go for, using 172.5mm cranks

Current bike has 11 speed 105 with 34/50 chainrings and a 11-28 cassette.

With the 6800 ultegra there are a few options:
    34/50 11-28
    34/50 11-32
    36/52 11-28
    36/52 11-36

Now i have never not got up a hill on the 34-28 combo so i dont think i need a 32 cassette, and i dont go fast enough to need a 52 front ring.

So was considering buying the 34/50 11-28 and an additional front 36t ring to make it 36/50 11-28 as that gives the closest to a 72 inch gear (73.1)

I have been on the Sheldon Brown gear inch calculator and the lowest gear would be 1.9 inches more than with a 34 front ring
    how noticeable is this likely to be?

Cheers, Dan

But what's your reason for the 36T ring/ When it seems the 34T serves you well and it would be much cheaper to stick with it.

In addition the cheapest thing to do is stay with your current groupset, 5800 is excellent, and 6800 won't give you much if anything more. Your money, of course.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Er - you have the 50 34 and 11-28 now. You've no complaints ?

Why the fascination with a 76 inch gear ?

Stick with what you have I think.
  • markhewitt1978
    I daresay if you took the price of a 6800 groupset and put that money elsewhere you'd see a bigger improvement than swapping 5800 for 6800.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Er - you have the 50 34 and 11-28 now. You've no complaints ?

Why the fascination with a 76 inch gear ?

Stick with what you have I think.

Im guessing his mate has that ratio and his mate is fast as flash! Now OP wants to be fast as flash too, hence the upgrade to 6800 to outflash him.
  • fudgey
    Im not changing the 5800 on one bike for 6800.

I have ordered a new frame last week hence needing a groupset to build the bike up, but thanks for answering questions i didnt ask.

Yes, a chap for work who has been riding for many many years recommended a 72" gear and i often ride with him and he is a little faster than me.

But again, i wasnt asking about that - should have know before posting really.
  • Fudgey wrote:

I have ordered a new frame last week hence needing a groupset to build the bike up, but thanks for answering questions i didnt ask.

Yes, a chap for work who has been riding for many many years recommended a 72" gear and i often ride with him and he is a little faster than me.

Then by all means go with the 6800, but stick with the 50/34 and 11/28 setup as it seems to suit you based on your original post. What works for a chap from work may or may not work for you so I would stick with what I know. Alternatively you could try a different cassette if you are that determined to try different gearing as thats the easiest component to swap out should you want to change back.
  • 2" more is noticeably bigger. This friend of yours doesn't ride fixed, by any chance? In any case, I don't see the need to buy for closer ratios on 11 speed, as they're rather close as it is - prioritise having gearing that definitely goes low enough.
  • fudgey
    2" more is noticeably bigger. This friend of yours doesn't ride fixed, by any chance? In any case, I don't see the need to buy for closer ratios on 11 speed, as they're rather close as it is - prioritise having gearing that definitely goes low enough.
    Thanks, thats the sort of answer i was after. No he doesnt ride fixed, but is a 50 year old ex racer, current club rider and TTer.

I have been out with him quite a few times on lunchtime loops of around 14 miles and my speed is gradually increasing, the last few times they have been 19.5-19.8mph av which is bloody good for me.

Anyway, he said he likes a 72" gear for general riding hence me asking the question.

Tbh 34/50 11-28 is is fine for me, as i said i have had no issues getting up hills etc but looking at the gear calculators with a 36t front ring it would basically mean i would have one gear less than my current setup, and there are a couple of hills i use first gear on, so as has been said i think ill stick with what i am used to.

Cheers.

Now,,, Di2 or mechanical haha..
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    In deciding on gearing I personally look at my cadence data. Do you achieve the cadence you want on the hills?

It sounds like you have the answer anyway, now isn't the current argument, Di2 or deep sections?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    Di2 or deep sections surely depends on what riding he wants to do.
    If he wants to be a flat land bully then go deep.
    If he wants to climb some proper hills / mountains then deep sections are a waste of time and will have a weight penalty over a shallower rim.

Next will be discs or not!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Simple - if you use your 34-28 combo then stick with it. A 36 inner chainring will just give you a higher low gear which you will come to regret.

For maximum flexibility, just in case you might need a lower gear in future, get the 34/50 12/28 setup with a medium cage rear derailleur, the you can just swap the cassette for a 12/32.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fudgey
    I dont currently have any way of measuring cadence, but i was joking about the Di2 - will be going mechanical and the saving over Di2 will be spent on a Garmin 520.
    As for wheels, i have a set of Vision Trimax T35's - carbon alloy clinchers. They will be used on the new build.

Type of riding is fairly flat around here tbh, i have to go looking for hills to get any reasonable climbs in.
  • markhewitt1978
    Fudgey wrote:

You gave that impression. Perhaps if you were going to build up a new bike you should say that you're going to build up a new bike, what are we, mind readers?

It's just a gear ratio it means nothing. Ignore what others say, especially that other rider who is faster than you.

What, like posting relevant information? Surely not!
  • fudgey
    Fudgey wrote:

You gave that impression. Perhaps if you were going to build up a new bike you should say that you're going to build up a new bike, what are we, mind readers?

No, you are all experts at reading between the lines and answering questions that were not asked! I simply stated what gearing my current bike has, not that i was looking to replace it.

It's just a gear ratio it means nothing. Ignore what others say, especially that other rider who is faster than you.

What, like posting relevant information? Surely not!

hang on, the only question i asked was would an 1.9" gear be noticeable on a climb, nothing about pricing or whats cheapest etc
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    An Ultegra inner ring is less than £20, the outer is about £80. All rings fit on the same cranks. So changing your mind later isn't crippling.

Given the existing presence of 50/34 on another bike I'd probably go 52/36 just to see.

Paul
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    I went from 50/36 with 11-28 to 50/34 with 12-25, and I love it. Close to the same bottom gear, never spun out a 50-11 so didn't see the point. The close ratios on 12-25 are lovely and 34-25 gets me up most things, and I'm very average on power. Hope that helps.
  • markhewitt1978
    siddy1972 wrote:
    I went from 50/36 with 11-28 to 50/34 with 12-25, and I love it. Close to the same bottom gear, never spun out a 50-11 so didn't see the point. The close ratios on 12-25 are lovely and 34-25 gets me up most things, and I'm very average on power. Hope that helps.

Fitness is important but so too is weight. If you're a light rider then 34/25 probably will get you up anything with average power.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    50/36, with a 28-11 cassette for mountains, 23-11 for everything else.

50-11 is fast enough for 99% of us.

The 36 gives you less of a jump between the 2 rings.

36-28 is great for tough cols.

23-11 is a nice, tight cassette.
  • fudgey
    Cheers for the input, ordered earlier and as people said stuck with what i know of 34/50 11-28.
    A 36t front ring is around £22 and an ultegra cassette is around £44 so possibilities to try in the future.

Depends on your take on light, im 12st, lost half a stone so far this year, would be nice to loose another half too but i doubt ill ever be less than that.