Thinking of upgrading to full on road bike.

2»

Comments

• feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    edited April 2016
    The vast majority of people are happy with full on road geometry so that's my recommendation - OK so the OP may not be one of them but equally they may find something like a Roubaix as being far too upright. Most people who get into road cycling seem happy with a race focused bike and that includes 30, 40 and 50 somethings like myself !

I agree most people are happy with full on road geometry. I took the relaxed route so I don't know what would have happened if I'd gone straight to a full on road geometry (may well have been fine!).

I went from a hybrid to a Specialized Secteur, to a Roubaix (after Allez stolen. same geometry) and then have just got a custom built titanium bike which is more aggressive than roubaix albeit not as aggressive as a *really* aggressive road bike. This transition took place over 4 years.

I think I'd advise to just go to a bike shop and try out a range of road bikes. Some relaxed, some aggressive etc and see what works
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    The vast majority of people are happy with full on road geometry so that's my recommendation - OK so the OP may not be one of them but equally they may find something like a Roubaix as being far too upright. Most people who get into road cycling seem happy with a race focused bike and that includes 30, 40 and 50 somethings like myself !
    Although it is not full on race geometry, I don't think that the Roubaix as pictured below, could be classed as far too upright as the bars are well below the saddle height:
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... /16roubaix
  • mason5697
    mason5697 Posts: 63
    So even tho I love the boardman, I gave into temptation. Picked up a 2016 Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2. feels a good bike.