Chainstay length on disc race bikes...

williambowland
williambowland Posts: 131
edited April 2016 in Road general
I'm thinkin of a new race bike and I am not put off discs by Fran Ventoso's leg. But I am a bit confused about chainstay length on 11 speed race bikes with 135mm rear spacing.

There appears to be 3 approaches:

1) Fancy offset reat hubs, like Specialized Tarmac Disc;
2) Longer chainstays than is usual, like Focus Izalco Max Disc;
3) Ignoring the problem, like Cannondale CAAD12 Disc and Kinesis Aithein Disc.

I don't see any complaints of noise, rubbing or ghost shifting in reviews for the bikes where the manfacturer appears to have ignored the problem. So - is chainline a real problem for this class of bikes or not???
2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If it's a race bike you are after, stick with calipers because disk bikes are not yet approved for amateur racing.
  • I just want a bike with race geometry - i don't actually want to race it.

Even so, I am considering both discs and callipers.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    I'm a disk fan but I'd be very nervous about buying anything at the moment

142 x 12 rear and 100 x 15 seem to be in favour in CX/Gravel at the moment but that is in direct contradiction to the UCIs decision to go with 100 x 12 for road disk. Lord knows what will happen now though. Knees jerking all over the place...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What's wrong with your roubaix?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    I wouldn't worry about what standards will be taken up in road too much, if it's commonly used in MTB then spares will always be available. I'd try one with normal length chains rays and one with longer and see how they feel, ignore the wierd offset hubs as that isn't as future proof.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've never even thought about the OP's question - it seems to be a total non-issue for discs.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH