3x9 to 1x11

daff
daff Posts: 81
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'll shortly be getting a new Giant Stance - I'm really looking forward to it

Only downside though, is that it comes standard with a 3x9 drivetrain.

My current Bizango has a 2x10 and I'm really interested in going down a 1x11

If I wanted to do a "cheaper" 1x11 would I need just the following:

New 11 speed shifer (SLX @ £25)
New Cassette (XT 11 speed at £51)
New Deraileur (XT long cage at £52)
New chain (£20)

Some form of new chain ring (not sure yet)

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You wouldn't need a long cage.
    Right track, however I'd do at least the gear inner (which will be damaged where pinched) as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Shifter may well come with a new inner cable fitted, Id go with the medium mech though im running a long an it is constantly being dragged through the mud.
    Chainring size have a think about what you ride something between a 30T an 34T will cover most bases
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Suggest a NW chain ring for retention - up to £30 and maybe a bash guard too - better off with a metal one and get a 36/38 T bash just in case you want to go to a 38 or 36 T chainring.. Obviously red dust caps are essential.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • daff
    daff Posts: 81
    That's brilliant, thanks.

One more question, I see that the middle ring of the crank set is a 30t, could I use this with a chain retention device instead of a dedicated n/weather-radar ring? Might save a few £'s
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    daff wrote:
    That's brilliant, thanks.

One more question, I see that the middle ring of the crank set is a 30t, could I use this with a chain retention device instead of a dedicated n/weather-radar ring? Might save a few £'s

Yeah weather radar stations can cost quite a bit these days.

Jk, You could, but it would be heavier and in general a chain guide costs at least as much as a new chainring

--> Just get a new ring
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!