Which Skewers

romany
romany Posts: 22
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking to upgrade the QR skewers on my bike and was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good set of them. Many thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Enve perhaps
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Internal cam Shimano, Campagnolo or Fulcrum
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    i got dura ace, damn,, they are so good
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Romany wrote:
    I am looking to upgrade the QR skewers on my bike and was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good set of them. Many thanks

I am almost tired of sayin the same things, but let's give it another go: The QR is a "functional part" of the bicycle, meaning if it fails, you can easily end up in hospital, or worse, as a jar of ashes. Upgrading the QR to a more functional pair is a very good idea, while upgrading them to a lighter or more aesthetically pleasing pair can be a bad idea, in view of the above.
    The internal cam Shimano ones are the best on the market (the Campagnolo and Fulcrum ones are not on the market, unless you buy their wheels) and if you take a close look, virtually every bike in the PRO peloton use an internal cam QR, at least at the back, where there are more forces at play.
    Whether it's 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace or XT it doesn't really matter: they are all equally good.

Now of course, this is not the answer you wanted, because most likely you want to upgrade to a pair of lighter and colourful ones, but bear in mind QR are there for a reason, which is not to make your bike lighter or prettier
    left the forum March 2023
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I use one of those Planet X titanium/carbon super light skewers on the front, bright red, and a Dura Ace skewer on the rear. The rear Planet X skewer just couldn't hold the wheel in place, and eventually the plastic part of the cam broke as I over tightened it in an attempt to stop the wheel slipping. The DA skewer is a bit heavier, but holds the wheel very securely with much less pressure on the cam.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    g00se wrote:
    Internal cam Shimano, Campagnolo or Fulcrum
    +1
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Romany wrote:

What skewers do you have now? That would have been a good question to start with...
  • pssyche
    pssyche Posts: 10
    I just bought pair of Ultegras here at great price to replace some basic eternal cams on my GT Grade. Hopefully they will help with occasional disc rubbing in front when riding over rough roads or gravel.
  • romany
    romany Posts: 22
    Don't know what make the ones on it are now it doesn't say but I've bought a pair of Ultegra ones as they seem to be highly rated. Cheers guys
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I use Dura ace and they work nicely. wouldn't recommend any ultra lightweight ones, I've seen 2 people have failures in the last 18 months, both were pretty nasty in terms of the end result.
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    Carbonator wrote:
    Enve perhaps

Personally I think the Enve skewers are pretty ****. I bought a set to go with my 4.5's, absolute scandal they don't come as standard with a set of 2-2.5k wheels. £50 too, joke.
    Yes they're light being titanium but they creak and the closing mechanism is poor..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, going to check mine out a bit closer re mechinism.
    They did feel a bit odd, but maybe they are just super fussy about tension?

I like the chunkier Fulcrum 'wishbone' style ones best anyhow.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    philbar72 wrote:
    I use Dura ace and they work nicely. wouldn't recommend any ultra lightweight ones, I've seen 2 people have failures in the last 18 months, both were pretty nasty in terms of the end result.

Which ones were they using and what happened (not the gory details but how did they fail)? There's lots of hunches and unsupported opinions on this so real examples would be really interesting.