Chain keeps slipping!

fa66ster
fa66ster Posts: 16
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I attempted to replace my BB on my Trek MTB to no avail (siezed) Anyhow.....now I have re=assembled the bike, the chain is slipping! :?

I purchased a new chain in case it was stretched. But if you look at it logically Why did it work before and not now?! Everything is how it was! Deeply frustrating because I don't cope too well with illogical situations! :lol:

Comments

• WhyteSky
    WhyteSky Posts: 70
    Is it the new chain that's slipping?

Your drivetrain is worn. Your old chain was worn to the point of destruction and your drivetrain has worn to the shape of your worn chain so that mow your new chain doesn't work correctly with your old drivetrain.

At best, you'll also need to replace the rear cassette although you may also need to replace one or more chainrings.
  • fa66ster
    WhyteSky wrote:
    Is it the new chain that's slipping?

Your drivetrain is worn. Your old chain was worn to the point of destruction and your drivetrain has worn to the shape of your worn chain so that mow your new chain doesn't work correctly with your old drivetrain.

At best, you'll also need to replace the rear cassette although you may also need to replace one or more chainrings.

I tried it with the old chain 1st, Which is why I purchased a new one!
  • fa66ster
    oxoman wrote:
    At which point is it slipping front chainset, cassette or is it possibly your rear hub slipping. It could be worn teeth on the cassette or front chainset as well. Check for wear and correct set up hopefully you will find the problem. If you want further help repost on here or look on YouTube for devine intervention, loads of advice and how to clips.

Thanks.

The logic in all this baffles me.......if a,b,c etc.....are all worn, why did it all work beforehand?! That's what is too coincidental!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the chain stretches, the teeth on the gears wear to suite (the increased distance between the rollers) and they work OK together, replace any one part and it doesn't work with the worn other parts, very common issue on bikes when chains are swapped as the new chain with the shorter distance between rollers only then engages on one worn tooth as the rest of the teeth are worn out of the way of contacting it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fa66ster
    The Rookie wrote:
    If the chain stretches, the teeth on the gears wear to suite (the increased distance between the rollers) and they work OK together, replace any one part and it doesn't work with the worn other parts, very common issue on bikes when chains are swapped as the new chain with the shorter distance between rollers only then engages on one worn tooth as the rest of the teeth are worn out of the way of contacting it.

The old chain slipped when I re-assembled too! hence purchasing a new one! :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So everything was jiggered?

Photo's of the teeth would help.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sparkov
    sparkov Posts: 10
    Did you definitely put the chainrings back on the right way round?