Selle SMP vs Selle Italia - need an advise

dima_motel
dima_motel Posts: 26
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey guys 8)

I'm sure this was discussed before a thousand times, but I really need your advise.
Like many others, I have saddle-related numbness.
I'm 1.62m and 62 kg (5`4 and 136 lbs).
Haven't measured my sit bones yet.
I have two bikes, a commuter (Merida Crossway 300) and a "racing" road bike (De Rosa King xs).

These are the saddles that I use:
Selle SMP Hybrid (Dimensions - 275x140mm).
Selle Italia SL (Dimensions - 275x143mm).
On both of them I've experienced numbness.

I was thinking of replacing one of them with the following:
Selle Italia SLR Superflow (275x130mm) - Huge cutout, titanium rails, 30% carbon shell.
Selle Smp Stratos (266x131mm) - Shorter in length, much more expansive.
Selle Smp Dynamic (274x138mm) - Highly prized by Steve Hogg (*All about SMPs), much more expansive.

My reason goes with the SLR Superflow, but I know that Selle Smp's are super professional and people seem to be very happy with them.

How can I decide?
What do you guys think?

Would appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Dima_Motel wrote:
    Hey guys 8)

I'm sure this was discussed before a thousand times, but I really need your advise.
    Like many others, I have saddle-related numbness.
    I'm 1.62m and 62 kg (5`4 and 136 lbs).
    Haven't measured my sit bones yet.
    I have two bikes, a commuter (Merida Crossway 300) and a "racing" road bike (De Rosa King xs).

These are the saddles that I use:
    Selle SMP Hybrid (Dimensions - 275x140mm).
    Selle Italia SL (Dimensions - 275x143mm).
    On both of them I've experienced numbness.

I was thinking of replacing one of them with the following:
    Selle Italia SLR Superflow (275x130mm) - Huge cutout, titanium rails, 30% carbon shell.
    Selle Smp Stratos (266x131mm) - Shorter in length, much more expansive.
    Selle Smp Dynamic (274x138mm) - Highly prized by Steve Hogg (*All about SMPs), much more expansive.

My reason goes with the SLR Superflow, but I know that Selle Smp's are super professional and people seem to be very happy with them.

How can I decide?
    What do you guys think?

Would appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance,

My view is that you've got to test a saddle. A few years back, I found various shops that do loan schemes and tested about 8 saddles from various popular manufacturers (Fizik, Selle, ISM). For what it's worth, I settled on an SMP Dynamic, but it's a personal thing. I too was put off by the price tag until I found a place that would do a loan. It takes a bit of time and patience, but I think this the best approach because you actually get to ride the things properly.
  • I'd steer clear of smp the stitching on them eats Lycra! Try SQLab or Rido they are both great for sparing the perineum.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    As already stated, nobody can recommend a saddle that will suit you. Personally I like the SMPs and have a Dynamic but I tested about 6 from the range before choosing the Dynamic. You can get trial saddles for postage + refundable deposit from Dillglove who are very very helpful and this is a much more cost effective way of ending up with the right version.

I haven't experienced excessive Lycra wear btw but don't cycle huge distances on a regular basis average 50-100 miles/week and don't always wear the same bibs so any wear is well spread around!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've had Selle SMP and Selle Italia saddles, settled with the Selle SMP Lite 209 on 3 bikes. Not been troubled with proper numbness but I have had similar issues. It all stemmed from having the saddle too flat, try tilting it forwards and see how that feels.

Strangely, tiliting the saddle forwards has put more pressure on my sit bones rather than slide me forwards. Its about 4 degrees tilt downwards at the moment.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I agree with you all regarding the need to test a saddle before buying it, but not a lot of stores allow that.
    So I'm going for straight facts and personal reviews.

That being said, I keep reading that a lot of you have the Selle SMP Dynamic.
    Plus Steve Hogg's (*All about SMPs) recommendation, it gives it another positive point.
    (@drlodge - The Lite 209 is part of the Forma family, so it's all the same as the Dynamic, just more padding).

@handful, thank's mate. I've emailed them. Problem is, I'm not from the UK, hope it'll be fine with them.
    I'll try loaning the Selle SMP Dynamic and see how it feels.
  • Alex99
    handful wrote:
    As already stated, nobody can recommend a saddle that will suit you. Personally I like the SMPs and have a Dynamic but I tested about 6 from the range before choosing the Dynamic. You can get trial saddles for postage + refundable deposit from Dillglove who are very very helpful and this is a much more cost effective way of ending up with the right version.

I haven't experienced excessive Lycra wear btw but don't cycle huge distances on a regular basis average 50-100 miles/week and don't always wear the same bibs so any wear is well spread around!

No issue with SMP stitching wearing my shorts out.
  • Alex99
    Dima_Motel wrote:
    I agree with you all regarding the need to test a saddle before buying it, but not a lot of stores allow that.
    So I'm going for straight facts and personal reviews.

That being said, I keep reading that a lot of you have the Selle SMP Dynamic.
    Plus Steve Hogg's (*All about SMPs) recommendation, it gives it another positive point.
    (@drlodge - The Lite 209 is part of the Forma family, so it's all the same as the Dynamic, just more padding).

@handful, thank's mate. I've emailed them. Problem is, I'm not from the UK, hope it'll be fine with them.
    I'll try loaning the Selle SMP Dynamic and see how it feels.

In my opinion SMPs are really nice saddles. Thing is, they're niche, but have a loyal following. So whenever there is a thread that mentions them, all the SMP owners pop up to say hello. I rarely see another one out and about, but see dozens of Fizik etc...