N+1 final cut

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited April 2016 in Road general
After extensive research i have narrowed my new purchase to 4 bikes. Unfortunately it's c2w and the lbs has not made the cut as they do spesh and giant, and the bikes I like have sora within my budget.

The bikes.

Ribble sportive racing with 105 and stock wheels. Ribble gran Fondo with 105 and Mavic aksium wheels
Dolan l'etape sram rival 22 stock wheels
Cube attain sl aluminum Mavic aksium and 105

I like a relaxed geometry due to lack of flexibility. And I want a comfortable quick bike. Preferably carbon but light high grade aluminium is just as good for a sub 1k bike.

Any general thoughts on these bikes to help me decide? Any known issues? I really like the look of the cube but it's relatively new so not many reviews on comfort. It's apparently similar to the cube Peleton race.
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I have ridden 4116 kilometres on a Dolan L'etape (see sig); I love it so much that even though I'd like to buy something italian for N+1 reasons, I can't justify it because there isn't really any place the L'etape comes up short. But, it is not a terribly relaxed ride, in size 48, the stack-to-reach ratio is 1.4, which is decidedly on the racier end of the spectrum.
  • seanorawe
    Dyrlac wrote:
    I have ridden 4116 kilometres on a Dolan L'etape (see sig); I love it so much that even though I'd like to buy something italian for N+1 reasons, I can't justify it because there isn't really any place the L'etape comes up short. But, it is not a terribly relaxed ride, in size 48, the stack-to-reach ratio is 1.4, which is decidedly on the racier end of the spectrum.

Yeah I did the calculation but reading reviews it seemed to be comfortable. My lower back usually gets very sore if I'm too aggressive on the bike. 1.5 and above usually suits me better. I may have to scratch it from the list. It's available in a nice fluoro green too
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I've had a Gran Fondo for a few years now (summer bike - I have an ally sportive with very similar geometry for winter) and having done a few 1000 miles on it, find it very comfortable indeed.
    I didn't get into road cycling until my mid 40's, coming from mtb, so I guessed I would be more comfortable in a slightly more upright position. Seems to have worked for me personally.
    Both my Ribbles are very well made frames, and I've had no issues with either the ally or the carbon, though for some reason, some on here don't seem to like them?
    If you go with Ribble though, my only advice would be to buy a spare hanger, as they seem to change them periodically on each model (?), and then very quickly stop stocking the old ones? I've only ever broken one in my life, but wouldn't want to scrap a frame because I couldn't get a hanger for it!!!!! :roll: :D
  • seanorawe
    I think the Gran fondo has the better colour than the sportive racing also. Can anyone vouch for the cube? Its usually common place that they are a very well made bike.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0