Is a new carbon road bike with Ultegra possible for £1000?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Well firstly I can answer the question as it is a yes.

Looking on Evans website, which I have to as my company only operates our ride 2 work scheme with them ( :roll: ), I can see the Fuji Transonic 2.3 for £1439.00 & then with the tax & Ni savings on the scheme that comes down to roughly £1070. Bike is here:

https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-transo ... e-EV241883

So as an alternative what is out there for £1000? Basically around the same cost to me but without any tax & NI savings.

Cheers,

Russ

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Try Rose/canyon/Planet X/ribble

Got an email with a Planet X full carbon road bike with full 105 this morning for £800 - maybe ultegra is £1000?

No idea how good it is. I like the transonic myself
  • russboy
    I like the look of the Transonic 2.3, although not seen it in the flesh as Evans cycles don't have any built up, got to pay a £50 deposit for that & then go back again!

There is also the 2.5:

https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-transo ... e-EV241884

But I don't like the look of it as much
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

maybe ultegra is £1000?

Spot on from CookeeMonster

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT ... -road-bike

I've just finished building up a Pro Carbon frame with 105 5800. Only done a few miles on it so far but I'm impressed.
  • Easily possible, but personally I'd go for 105 and get a better frameset or wheels. The 11-speed 105 is so much better than the old 10-speed that there's hardly any performance difference going from 11-speed 105 to 11-speed Ultegra (a little less weight and arguably better aesthetics).

That said, the PX Pro Carbon is an excellent frameset. Especially for the price!
  • It is do-able but as mentioned, probably better going for 105 5800 (really, you'd struggle to tell the difference in a blind test) on a slightly better frame.

Again - as has been mentioned - look at Ribble, Planet X, other in house brands like Wiggle's "Eastway", ROSE bikes etc.
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Are you sure it's evans only? I only ask as our lbs accepts "halfords only" c2w, it just takes a while longer to sort the paperwork. Not sure how it works, mind.
  • russboy
    Are you sure it's evans only? I only ask as our lbs accepts "halfords only" c2w, it just takes a while longer to sort the paperwork. Not sure how it works, mind.

100% Evans only, just asked HR :evil:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    You'd struggle to get a top end Alu frame with Ultegra for £1000, so I'd seriously be questioning what quality of carbon frame your expecting?
  • russboy
    Dinyull wrote:
    You'd struggle to get a top end Alu frame with Ultegra for £1000, so I'd seriously be questioning what quality of carbon frame your expecting?

The frame quality on the link above is the same as my current bike a 2013 Fuji Gran Fondo & never had any issues with it on the 5k+ miles so far.

Just fancy indulging myself again :D
  • dinyull
    But the bike above is an £1800 bike reduced to £1400.

The Planet X frame in this thread is a 5+ year old mass produced design with fairly average reviews.

Like I said, I'd seriously be questioning the frame if you can get carbon with ultegra and half decent wheels for a grand.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    Does the scheme only cover up to £1000 before taking off the benefit in kind?

so the bike retail value has to be below that £1000 or am i wrong?
  • dinyull
    Also, be careful with which ride to work scheme you have as some won't include bikes that are already on offer.
  • russboy
    Dinyull wrote:
    But the bike above is an £1800 bike reduced to £1400.

The Planet X frame in this thread is a 5+ year old mass produced design with fairly average reviews.

Like I said, I'd seriously be questioning the frame if you can get carbon with ultegra and half decent wheels for a grand.

Yeah, I see what you are saying, the Fuji is an £1800 bike (well was) it just so happens that with the discount & then ride 2 work scheme it's the equivalent to me of £1000.
  • russboy
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    Does the scheme only cover up to £1000 before taking off the benefit in kind?

so the bike retail value has to be below that £1000 or am i wrong?

Anything over £1000 I have to pay, did the same before on my last £1400 purchase.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Just for the record, you can not only add money to the voucher on the evans scheme but it can be used on sale bikes...and they will also price match other selected shops, and will add a £60 voucher too (recently used it myself)
  • russboy
    Just for the record, you can not only add money to the voucher on the evans scheme but it can be used on sale bikes...and they will also price match other selected shops, and will add a £60 voucher too (recently used it myself)

Yep all correct, that's what they did for me 3 years ago.

Only disappointed is that their part ex scheme doesn't count on already discounted bikes, shame as it would have been another £150 off. But then it has already reduced by £360 I suppose.

You just reminded me about the price promise, although it's only on certain websites & with the Fuji bike above I believe Evans are the only UK stockists so i'm out of luck on that.