Mic Rogers retires

Shadowrider
Shadowrider Posts: 483
edited May 2016 in Pro race
Like the thread say Rodgers has announced his retirement as from today. INnteresting and a hit to Tinkovs GT strength.

http://www.tinkoffteam.com/news/michael ... -fun-ride/

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    They kept that quiet.
    A bit surprised it's come at this point in the season.
    Nevertheless, he's probably right to quit while he was still getting some top results and he's enjoyed a more than decent career.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    He's had a congenital heart problem all his career but it got worse at the end of last year. I think he tried so see if it could be fixed but has clearly given up now. He started the Tour of Dubai but dropped out because his heart rate was still wrong. That was his last race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    Triple TT world champ.

Never mentioned in the list of top TTers...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    I thought it was odd timing but in that link it explains it's for health reasons - problem with his heart.

edit - as has already been said !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's had a congenital heart problem all his career but it got worse at the end of last year. I think he tried so see if it could be fixed but has clearly given up now. He started the Tour of Dubai but dropped out because his heart rate was still wrong. That was his last race.

Yes, of course. Slipped my aging memory.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Top road captain - major blow to Dopador's TdF ambitions.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Lucky catch before something life changing could have happened, good luck to him in his new life
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    'Three spirited daughters'

Christ, poor bloke. I have 1 spirited daughter and that's enough for my heart....
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    *wonders if anything has had anything to do with anything
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It crossed my mind too
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Joelsim wrote:
    *wonders if anything has had anything to do with anything

He's interviewed on the telegraph cycling podcast. From his description of the problem it is extremely unlikely to have anything to do with and illicit substances he may or may not have dabbled with during his career. A congenital issue which was identified when he first turned pro and has been monitored ever since.